9

Nicki was so zoned out she hadn't really considered what she was painting - the paint was her guide as she coloured the page. She dipped the brush into the water imagining the small of Beyoncé's back. She felt the way her body reacted to being touched by her fingers. Beneath her fingertips was an ocean ready to come alive. She watched the waves on the shore grow bigger beneath her brush strokes.

Snapping her from this daydream her phone buzzed beside her. She jumped looking away from her painting. It was the man letting her know he was on his way.

She finished the painting and placed it into the only photo frame in the room. It previously held some kind of abstract print that felt completely vapid. But her painting was different. It was full of emotion and unless you knew Beyoncé really well, you couldn't tell it was her. The tide represented change and the sand her patience. She couldn't know whoever would stay there next, but she hoped at some point the right person would see it. The painting felt like her gift to the next girl. She wondered if anyone would even notice it. But that didn't matter. She was moving on. They could throw the image out for all she cared - it was just paint on paper.

It hadn't been hard for Onika to live in a hotel but having an apartment would mean so much more to her. She wrapped Beyoncé's gifts back into the paper, and stole a robe and a towel from the hotel she called home. Having been there for so long it felt like a rite of passage.

She officially moved into the apartment the next day. The move was simple as she didn't have many belongings. She never liked to own more than she could fit into a suitcase and she rarely bought things that she couldn't lift alone. Aside from her art, nothing in that room really mattered. It was important that she appreciate what she had - a roof over her head, food in her stomach, and a promising future as an artist. She had friends as well now and that felt like change.

After moving in everything felt easy. The man was there after helping her, asking if she liked things, moving things around, and checking she was comfortable. Onika got the feeling he was worried she didn't like it. But this was forgotten when she kissed along his jaw promising to show him exactly how she felt. She wanted him now. She wanted him inside her. She moaned when she was supposed to and enjoyed the feeling. At one point she wanted to scream out his wife's name. Beyoncé was on her mind especially since they'd been talking. But this was about him. She was using him to nut. But he was using her for the exact same thing.

She lay comfortably on the bed after her nut and fell asleep. He always fell asleep straight away, leaving her to lie awake in bed, but she liked that about him - they never did pillow talk. She wondered whether it would be the same with Beyoncé. Would Beyoncé still be the same quiet girl after nutting? Or would she talk more, letting Onika into her mind? She wondered about the sex Beyoncé had with him - whether she felt the same absence Onika did with him. But he was her husband, so it must have felt better. Guilt tickled at her mind but she ignored it instead listening to his heavy snoring echo through the room.

She turned on the tv to drown out the sound, but, when she closed her eyes his wife plagued her mind. She couldn't get rid of her, Beyoncé was always in her thoughts. Even in this apartment Beyoncé had never been to, Onika carried Beyoncé wondering what she would think. She laughed to herself at how things had happened; how Beyoncé had gone to her hotel room and she had let her in. Beyoncé must've expected a brainless pretty girl who she could snap with her fingers, but Nicki wasn't that person. She was nothing like she expected and Nicki didn't bother trying to appease her or act more guilty than she felt. She was genuine which was both refreshing and unsettling. Beyoncé couldn't help respecting her.

Nicki was also surprised by Beyoncé. She was the wife so Nicki expected shouting and arguing, maybe even a slap or a fight. But Beyoncé was absent of judgement which was rare. She was used to being judged a homewrecker or a gold digger. Beyoncé didn't do that - she was mad at the right person. Nicki owed her nothing.