19

In the days that followed, Beyoncé poured herself into her work. It was something to focus on that wasn't Onika, who hadn't spoken to her in days. She didn't know anything about where the younger woman was, what she was doing or how she felt. The last time Beyoncé had seen her, Onika had been fighting back tears and slamming doors.

She swallowed and shoved those thoughts from her mind as her heels clacked against the office flooring. Her heartbeat raced as she looked around the building. She couldn't believe this was actually happening, after months of thinking it through and planning, now she was here ready to uproot her whole life.

"Beyoncé?" A woman questioned making her way towards her. Beyoncé nodded and shook the woman's hand. Her handshake was firm and trustworthy, which helped to soothe Beyoncé's nerves. "Good morning, I'm the best family lawyer money can buy so you're in good hands" the woman smiled as she spoke with confidence.

Beyoncé appreciated the show, which easily could've looked like arrogance, and followed the lady through the sparsely crowded building. The woman paused deciding on the conference room, which did not have an image of her own husband and child smiling brightly.

"So Mrs.-" she started and Beyoncé cut her off.

"Beyoncé is fine," she interrupted raising a hand politely. Her leg began to bounce as she adjusted in the chair. Nothing could have prepared her for what she was about to say. They each sat and Beyoncé was grateful it was just the two of them, away from any distractions.

"Beyoncé," she corrected. "What can I do for you?" The lawyer smiled tightly and pulled out a pen and a pad.

"I want a divorce" Beyoncé spoke after a moment, feeling the gravity of her words. Her fingers twisted around the ring she wore. For months, Beyoncé had been planning this, and now she was in this lawyers office making it a reality.

She examined the woman from head to toe noting her blouse and pants, and the way she spoke. She had an accent that indicated Houston wasn't her hometown , but she was clearly used to settings like this in a way that Beyoncé was not. For as long as possible, Beyoncé had managed to stay away from these types of corporate spaces.

Her tongue pushed against her teeth and she took in a shallow breath before she spoke. She was used to hiding parts of herself, showing the world a poised persona, rather than revealing how she truly felt. Her husband was a cheat and she was expected to be understanding as opposed to the woman who wanted to ruin his life. "He's been cheating on me since God knows when, treating her better than me, as if he'd married her, and I- I want a divorce"

The lawyer paused nodding at her clients words. Then she asked the question she hated to ask.
"What if he welcomes a divorce and wants to be with her, would that hurt you?" the lawyer asked.

Beyoncé was surprised by the question. She hadn't thought about it. If she divorced him and he ran towards Nicki, how would Nicki react to him? They still hadn't spoken since Nicki had run off. She'd texted and called but Onika ignored her. She worried what financial instability might make Onika do for this man. What if she was still in contact with him? If she had cut Beyoncé off to be with him...

Then she started laughing. "He can do whatever he wants" Beyoncé said curtly. Nicki wasn't in love with him. She knew that for sure, so his own fucked up feelings for her didn't matter.

"Alright," the lawyer smiled. She loved when a client was like Beyoncé and had fully checked out from the relationship before approaching her. It became a simple matter of how to handle the split and she didn't have to deal with so many of the feelings.

"Is there anything else?"

Beyoncé told her everything; about the cheating, about the hotel, about how she found out and got Nicki to make a sextape. The lawyers eyes lit up at that. She had seen the video but didn't know if it would be admissible in court. "That's good" she said jotting down some more notes. Beyoncé continued to tell the lawyer everything, suddenly remembering that this man was her husband.