The Betrayal

Zoey hadn't asked Claire about how everyone found out. She was on her way to meet Claire and Derrick when she saw them heading in a classroom. They were awfully close together.

She stood back until they entered the classroom and quietly followed behind them. She leaned against the door to listen to what they were saying.

"Are you sure you left it in here?" Claire asked Derrick. He kept walking to one of the desk and looked behind the chair.

"Here it is," Derrick replied as he grabbed his book bag. " I don't know how I could forget it in here."

Derrick started walking towards Claire. He stopped and thought about something.

"Claire, did you hear--" Derrick said.

Claire cut him off knowing exactly what he was going to ask, "Who do you think told everyone? "

"Is it true?" Derrick asked in disbelief.

"Every word. I've waited years for this, finally little Miss perfect isn't perfect at all," Claire said. She seemed like she was reminiscing on the memory as she smiled, "You should've seen the look on her face when she said she was broke. "

"I can't believe it. She broke her arm?" Derrick replied.

"No Derrick," Claire said annoyed. She didn't like Derrick because of his smarts, but his looks. "She's poor."

"She has no money?" Derrick asked trying to make sure he understood everything Claire was saying.

"That's what poor means," Claire answered. She got closer to Derrick. She started to play with his varsity jacket acting like she was trying to fix it. "Anyway, when are we gonna stop playing around? We all know that Zoey wouldn't have any friends if it wasn't for us. No one likes her. She's a total snob. It's time we get rid of her! No money, no power; Right? It's not like she can buy her way out of this one."

Zoey gasped. She quickly placed her hand on top of her mouth. Hopefully they didn't hear her.

"I know, ok," Derrick answered. He grabbed a hold of Claire's hand and gave her a gesture to stop touching his jacket.

"I hate that we have to pretend. The only reason I became her friend was because I didn't want her to bully me," Claire said overly dramatic. She was trying to be the victim. She grabbed his hand and tried to intertwine it with his. "I was scared of her. "

Derrick let go of her hand. He moved his hand toward Claire's face, "Just give me some time."

"Time? " Claire responded angrily. She pushed him back. "You've had enough time Derrick, now you have to choose. me or her? What's it gonna be? "

Derrick paused. Claire got worried, but then he said what she wanted to hear," I choose you, but we need we need to keep this thing between us hidden for now. Let's get out of here before someone sees."

Zoey quickly moved away from the door. She walk towards there meeting spot.

"Zoey, ready to go to cheerleading practice?" Claire said as she walked toward Zoey.

"Too late to ask that question," Derrick said playfully, " Did we keep you waiting too long? "

"Do you think I'm stupid? " Zoey asked them.

"What's wrong? We were just getting my textbook. I forgot it in the classroom," Derrick asked her confused.

"Zoey will never find out, right?" Zoey answered as she used her fingers to make air quotes.

Claire started to laugh nervously, "What are you talking about?"

"I heard you in there talking about pretending to be my friends," Zoey said. "You guys lied to me the whole time didn't you? "