Chapter 16

It's been three weeks since Haley walked out of there. Three weeks they last talked. Three weeks since they even looked at each other in the eye. As each day passed, the more Haley grew afraid that she was just going to lose her best friend for good. All thanks to a moment of curious. Curiosity really has killed the cat.

"So, what're you gonna do?"

"I don't know, Alex." Haley admits, "I've been trying to think of something but she just keeps avoiding me."

"Understandable." The younger girl shrugs.

Though a little hurt by that, she brushes it off, "Trust me. I want to talk to her. Every time she sees me coming up to her, she just turns and leaves.

"The school isn't that big, you know. Besides, shouldn't you know where she usually goes to when she's upset?"

"I did. Come on, it's not like she'll just leave the school in the middle of the day or go inside a janitor's closet."

"Leave school, no." Alex hums in thought, "Janitor's closet, probably."

"She hates the smell of those cleaning products."

"I think right now, she hates talking to you more." Alex says.

"Excuse me, offence." Haley gasped.

"I'm not sorry, I'm kind of with her on this." Alex shrugs, "You guys have done that to me, I do not appreciate that. She's right- if she wanted to tell you, she would have."

"What, so she can be my best friend for literally my whole life and all of a sudden not trust me?" She asked, sadly.

"You still don't get, do you? We all have our stuff that we would rather deal with on our own. She trusts you, I think she still doesn't really trust herself to be okay after she tells you any of those things." Alex began, Haley looks at her sister attentively.

"She just needs to come to terms with all that at her own pace, and she's been seeing a therapist. You know that. So, just- let her do that and when she's ready, you'll know."

"Ugh!" Haley cried out in frustration, "I'm gonna go take a shower."

"She lives down the street." Alex reminded. There was no response from Haley as she stormed out of their room.

That did click in Haley's head mid-shower, so she went down the street and knocked on that door. She leans closer to the door. Someone was watching Hannah Montana on TV so she took a guess. "Aurelia, open up! I need to talk to you. I know you're home."

She hears the sound of something- presumably the remote, fall. Then, some shuffling. "Aurelia, I have to talk to you. Please!"

No one answers the door so Haley took a step back at stared at the plant and flower pots in front of her, trying to remember which one the spare key was in. Haley remembers it was in a trinket box so she carefully looked for it in the three pots. Finding it, she takes it out and got the key.

"Aurelia, we need to talk."

"Why did you do that?"

"You know that I know where the spare key is. And- I've had enough of you avoiding me for the past three weeks- we have to talk. Right now."

Aurelia was faced away from her, and Haley was annoyed. "Aurelia, I want to make this right and you don't even want to look at me." Haley inhales sharply, taking a seat beside her. "Stop avoiding me. I don't want to lose you. I'm really sorry, Aurelia. As much as I was worried about you, I shouldn't have snooped, I should've just asked you- directly. Curiosity doesn't excuse the fact that I invaded your privacy. What can I do to make it up to you?"