Chapter 23

"Good afternoon, thanks for coming. It's so nice to spend my birthday surrounded by so many smiling faces." Manny stood at the head of the table, hands clasped together as he addressed the family.

The camera zooms out to show the rest of the attendees. Clearly not smiling.

"I was almost too depressed to come today. I realised I let my childhood slip away.

Anywho, just a half hour earlier,
"Come on, everybody! We're gonna be late for Manny's birthday!"

Luke and Haley just glance at her, not moving from their spots on the couches.

"Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go!" She repeated herself. Haley got off the couch and walked pass her. Luke stops in front of Claire, "I'm ready, Mom."

"You sure, honey?"

"Yup." He nodded, a smile plastered on his face.

"Wanna take a quick peek at your feet?"

"Are you gonna walk faster? Or should I take Lily's stroller out of the car and push you?"

"Relax, the restaurant's five minutes away from here." Cam gestured, "Oh, free lotion."

"Let's not stop."

"Manny's present." Cam says.

Mitchell was not pleased, showing that with an eye roll.

Aaaand we're back with the Dunphys."Yeah, no." Haley says. "What?"

"I'm not going, Mom."

"And why not?"

"Just not going, okay?"

"What happened?"

"A jealous cousin happened."

"Huh?" Claire asks, "Haley, get down the stairs."

"Ray's aunt and cousin moved to L.A, living in a neighbourhood nearby. I went over yesterday for dinner and she basically was just saying every wrong thing to get a reaction out of her."

"Just ignore her. She's not gonna do-"

"She already did. Three years ago." Haley reveals uneasily.

Claire's face contorted, "Wh-"

"Thanksgiving. She tried to kiss me. She's now jealous that Ray and I are dating. Ray's Dad, also outed her to them. And maybe the rest if their family. Mom, I'm not in a good mood today- I don't want to go out and ruin everyone else's at the restaurant."

"Oh, honey. I didn't know..." Claire's eyes softened.

"Don't apologise. That seems to be all we're hearing since yesterday."

Claire nods curtly, "Alright, I won't make you go. But what I will do is bring you back your favourite dish from there."

"That'll be nice. Thanks, Mom. Is it okay if Ray comes over for a little bit? I need some help with yesterday's homework."

"Sure, Haley."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

"No, I don't get what our teacher said. What did he mean that there's too many points in my essay? All I'm trying to do is elaborate on my main point. Like, what causes it and stuff. And the effects of it?"

"Oh. That's what he said? I think you're actually following the format he showed us. Seriously- it makes sense...your flow of thoughts and the ideas."

"So do you think it's okay if I just stick with this content and just make some changes to make sure it's more...polished?"

"Yeah, I don't see why not."