Days Before

During our time at the supermarket Jan tells me about the event the night before. They apparently stayed there until 2:30AM and then went over to Bojan and Martin's apartment to crash there.

"Why do you keep making those long nights if you always come back so exhausted?" I ask him.

"It's just part of the job. Most of our gigs are at night so we don't always get a lot of sleep. I don't mind it because I can sleep in. Well.. except for today," he shrugs.

We both get some groceries we need and head back to our building. 

Jan has to go to the studio that night because they're recording one of their new songs today. They're also recording a music video for one of them next week. It makes me a little jealous, as much as I know I will love my studies, I would love to have his job. That's why I'm insanely excited for the concert this weekend, I get to experience it all first hand.

But before that, I need to get through my first days of work.

Thursday morning I wake up feeling fresh and ready for the day. Not grumpy, as I thought I would be. I'm actually kind of excited. 

The sushi place has sent me an e-mail saying I had to come in at 2PM for training. 

I head there around 1:30, it's not a long walk but I'd rather be early than late.

On my way, my phone chimes and I see I got a text from Jan wishing me good luck. And although a good friend would always do this and it's nothing special, it makes my heart warm.

My first day actually goes really well. I get introduced to the manager, chefs and other delivery drivers. We work in pairs of two, one person drives and one person takes the deliveries to the customers.

The manager tells me that delivery drivers don't usually stick around for too long so I'll be working with loads of different people.

All in all, it is a chill experience. My "partner" of the day isn't really talkative and lets me do the door-to-door deliveries so that I can practice my Slovenian with the customers.

Like this, Thursday and Friday fly by. 

I wake up on Saturday, and the feelings of excitement and anxiety come to me immediately. Me and Jan are meeting everyone outside of our building at around 1PM, but Jan is coming over earlier.

While I'm working on some designs on my laptop, there's a knock on my door. A deep voice shouts: "Police, open up!" 

I scoff. Jan thinks he's just so funny. One day there will be a murderer outside my door and thinking it's Jan pulling a prank I'll actually open it. I can see that happening.

I open up and with both hands in the air, scream: "I'm innocent officer!"

Jan laughs and pulls me into a quick but tight embrace.

"I have all the essentials right here for you," he empties his backpack onto my table. The contents of the bag include Joker Out crew t-shirt, a short list with phone numbers named "important people", and a bunch more random stuff like hair ties and a bottle of water. Something small falls off the table, and when I hold it up, Jan starts to smirk.

"A condom? Really?" I throw it at him, but he's quick to catch the small packet. 

"I just thought you would be interested in more Joker Out merch," he shrugs.