Payback

TW: Foul Language.

Amidst the cafeteria's bustling ambiance, BASIL's mind swirled with thoughts while he consumed his lunch in silence. The chatter around him merged into a distant hum, overshadowed by the encounter with BOWEN and DAPHNE. Their animated discussions about genetics and music seemed like echoes from a distant realm, worlds away from his own experiences.

As the lunch break progressed, BOWEN's curiosity seemed to get the best of him once again. He turned his attention to BASIL, his eyes shining with genuine interest as he leaned in slightly. 'Hey, BASIL,' he began, his tone as animated as ever, 'I hope you don't mind me asking, but I've been wondering... how close are you to SUNNY?'

BASIL's patience was rapidly eroding, his irritation growing with every question. The memory of his recent run-in with SUNNY, the lingering emotions, and the judgmental ambiance of the school were all converging like a brewing tempest within him. He gripped his fists under the table, his jaw tightening as he responded, his tone laced with frustration, 'Listen, it's not something you need to know about. I'd rather you not bring him up'

BOWEN blinked, taken aback by the sudden shift in BASIL's tone. His enthusiasm seemed to waver for a moment, replaced by a more cautious expression. 'I...I didn't mean to pry,' he stammered, his voice quieter now. 'I'm sorry if I crossed a line...'

BASIL's frustration ebbed slightly as he noticed BOWEN's genuine response, but the storm of emotions still raged within him. He took a deep breath, his grip on his fork loosening. 'Yeah, let's just leave it at that, alright? I'm not really up for discussing it.'

BOWEN's energy seemed to deflate as he nodded in understanding. He exchanged a quick glance with DAPHNE, who had been observing the interaction with her usual enigmatic expression. The twins shifted their focus back to each other, engaging in a hushed conversation that BASIL couldn't quite make out.

BASIL's irritation had lessened, but he couldn't help but overhear snippets of BOWEN and DAPHNE's conversation as they chatted quietly. Their voices were low, but their words carried a sense of urgency that piqued his curiosity.

DAPHNE's voice, soft yet intense, reached his ears. 'SUNNY's instructions couldn't be more straightforward – we're to maintain an unwavering gaze on the unfolding scenario and duly furnish him with comprehensive briefs. His concerns appear to have taken a prominent position around BASIL, particularly in the aftermath of the recent incident..'

BOWEN's response was equally hushed, his concern evident. 'Yeah, I get it. It's just that he seems really closed off about the whole topic. I did try asking, but he shut me down pretty fast.'

DAPHNE's fingers tapped rhythmically on the table, a pattern that seemed to mirror the rapid pace of her thoughts. 'Prudence is of the essence here. While our association with the HOOLIGANS is a noteworthy facet, it's equally pivotal to recognize our role in providing assistance.'

The weight of the conversation, the mention of SUNNY's orders, and the realization that he was being watched and reported on like some kind of project became too much for BASIL to bear. Frustration and anger bubbled up within him, boiling over until he could no longer contain it.