Old Wounds

The feeling of my cloak in the wind, heavy. My hair blew away from my face. My face shows determination and bravery. Why Axis Chemicals? I mean sure, that is where Jack White was turned into the Joker. As Red Hood... 

Jack Oswald White.

Joker.

That son of a bitch.

Just the thought of Joker angered me. I hated him. He's ruined too many lives just because he finds it fun and because he wants the attention from Batman. I will never understand the thought process of Bruce on Joker. Bruces know no matter how many times Joker breaks out of Arkham, he's going to keep doing it until he dies, or Bruce dies, because at this point, there's no telling. 

I pulled into the cave and was instantly followed by Bruce as the Batmobile pulled up. Bruce launched himself out of the front landing on the ground. I flipped myself forward off the front of the bike and landed on my feet. Dick was already here of course, since we left him there alone. 

"Looks like there's a lot of explaining that needs to be done," Bruce says sternly.

"Grayson first," I started. "You weren't really going to San Francisco were you?" I crossed my arms.

"I was... but I had a lead and Kori ended up being busy with the Titans anyway so I figured why not?" He shrugged. 

"Dick head! You could've gone and helped them!"

"Well, clearly I'm needed here now more than ever," he crossed his own arms. "There was no art exhibit was there?"

"No of course there wasn't. I just knew it wouldn't be hard to fool you anyway."

"I knew I had a feeling..."

"Learn to trust your instincts, one of the first things we were ever taught."

"Well, I thought I could trust you!"

"This betrays your trust?! Wow, that doesn't take much!" I threw my hands up in the air.

"I didn't really mean that-"

"Nope too late! You're just further proving that your name fits you."

"Hey that's not-"

"That's enough! Both of you!" Bruce's voice boomed through the cave. "Y/n, why are you here?"

I looked him in the eyes. Something I haven't done in a long time. Not since the last time I tried to kill the Joker. No matter how hard he was masking, it wasn't hard to tell this was hell for him. 

"I got a lead last night while patrolling that someone by the name of Red Hood was getting under Black Mask's skin. Figured it was worth checking out, especially since you didn't know about it yet." I don't know what I was trying to make Bruce feel. I don't know what I was trying to do. Why did I even come to the Batcave? I really didn't need to. 

"And?" he pressed. He knew there was more. 

"And, Joker went by Red Hood before he became the goddamn maniac he is. Anything that has to do with the Joker, has to do with me. You can't keep me from that." 

"You don't need to be anywhere near Joker. That's not your place."

"So then what's my place then? Sit around and do nothing like he didn't do anything? I assume you remember what he did three years ago? I assume I don't have to remind you because I think the headstone in your backyard next to your parents is a reminder enough." My voice was cold now, angry. I know that struck a wound for him. My patients left my body. I didn't want to put up with any more bullshit.