Memories

"Jason!" I screamed. Everything was in ruins, smoke filled the sky. The strong smell of melted plastic and rubber, along with burnt wood and concrete. 

Bruce was digging his way through all of the rubble and I couldn't move. He had picked something up... or someone. 

"Bruce tell me that's not-" That single tear fell from Bruce's face through his cowl. He was gone... he was taken from me. "NO! No, no, no!" I screamed through my sobs. I felt so much intense pain in my chest; anger, fear, heartbreak, vengeance. I wanted to kill...

"No!" I flew straight up and gasped for air, a nightmare. Warm tears started to flow down my cold, clammy face. I haven't had a dream like that in a long time. I dream about Jason almost every night, but never that vivid. It's almost like he's reaching out. 

I looked over at my clock and it read four a.m. I knew I'd never be able to fall back asleep, so I pulled myself out of bed. I straightened up the covers and the pillows. I walked over to my closet and grabbed a pair of black cargo pants and a red tank top. I walked into my bathroom and brushed my teeth and straightened up my hair. Looks good enough. I threw on my gold hoops and put my earrings back in the rest of my ear piercings. 

I found all of my usual bracelets and threw them on; the one made from a piece of Bruce's cape, the "friendship bracelet" that Dick made me (which are the Nightwing colors), one that I made from an old t-shirt braided with pieces of Jason's cape and one his hoodie strings (one of his favorite red t-shirts with a yellow piece of his cape and his favorite black hoodie string), the one Tim made me for my birthday which was a thin silver/black chain made from the same material that the Batarangs and Birdarangs are made from, one made out of an old strap from Damian's green gloves, a knotted bracelet that is made out of a piece of one of Alfred's old ties, one friendship bracelet Babs made me that's purple and black, and one made from my old Finch cape (it's bright yellow). 

I wear these every day pretty much and almost never take them off unless I'm wearing my suit. Even then, the only one that NEVER comes off while I wear my suit is Jason's. 

I know that becoming Sparrow and leaving Gotham was to get away from my past, but I wear these to remind me of where I came from, and who I was. It was a reminder that no matter how much I hated Bruce, the manor, or this stupid fucking city, it was still a part of my life. It was my story. Pieces of everyone that I cared about. 

Even though Tim and Damian made their appearances after I left, they were still like brothers to me. Tim comes to visit all of the time, and I even go to his house for family dinners with his parents sometimes. Damian got curious and searched for me. I go over to the Titan tower once in a while so we've also become close through that too. 

Everyone I care about, I carry on my wrist. They're with me always even when I don't want them to be. 

I made my way to the door, opening and closing it as quietly as I could so I wouldn't disturb the others. At night, it made the manner eerie, but it was still comforting in a way. I didn't even make it halfway down the hall before I stopped. 

Jason's door...

I haven't been in that room in three years. So many memories have been made in that room. Where we first met, where we first laughed together, where we'd have movie nights on our own when Alfred was busy, where we became the best friends, where we fell for each other, where we confessed our feelings to one another, where we shared our first kiss, where we confessed our love to each other, and where we first slept together. That night was so special... it was both of our first times. It was magical, one of the best things that had happened to either of us. It was emotional, sweet, loving, and passionate. Even though we were only 16, it felt right. It felt like we were made for each other.