Writer revealed

It's a Saturday evening and the entire cast and crew are having a party to celebrate the end of filming. I'd been persuaded to join and decided to abandon my usual professional style for something a little more glamorous. It was rare that I socialised with the cast and crew, I was too busy trying to make my deadline for the next eagerly anticipated volume of my novel series as well as spending time with my children.

"Hi! I'm so glad you could make it." Brian d'Arcy James smiled at me, taking my arm and directing me to a table where I could see his wife Jennifer waving enthusiastically at me, sat at a table with their good friend Christian Borle. Brian and Jen two were amongst the few that I had socialised with throughout the past few months of filming and I'd genuinely enjoyed my time with them, becoming close friends. Everyone else had viewed me as a workaholic and didn't make much of an effort with me after I'd refused social events multiple times. Oh they're friendly enough but there's no friendships there. Everyone except him. Christian. He's so lovely and had persisted, chatting to me happily whenever we met in corridors or at Brian and Jen's home without the faintest idea of the real reason I avoided him. I recall the last time I saw him a couple of nights ago.

"He thinks you hate him." Jen had come to my house the following morning after the last time I'd been at their house and left as soon as he'd arrived. She'd wanted answers.

"I definitely don't hate him." I smirk, letting slip my secret.

"Oh really." She grinned in delight, "why avoid him then?"

"I just don't think I'm his type and honestly, it's been a long time. It's been 4 years since my husband died and I've dated a little but never anything serious and I don't think I'd want to keep it casual with him." I shrug, revealing the depth of my feelings.

"Wow!" Jen seemed to be blown away, "well blown me down with a feather, Brian was right!" She chuckled.

"What?" I ask in surprise.

"Well he seemed to think you liked Christian and that was the reason you were avoiding him. We might have even had a little wager on it." She blushed.

"Oh really." I smirked in amusement, "well you can tell Brian he wins but just keep it between the two of you please."

"I really think you should tell him. He seems to really like you."

"Hmmm. See you later." I avoid answering and realise she had also avoided answering as she left.

Now I hadn't been planned to come tonight but Brian and Jen had not stopped harassing me about it and eventually I'd agreed. Jen had even insisted on going shopping with me to find the perfect dress.

I was glad I'd decided to come actually, it was a rarity that I got to dress up and I was feeling great.

"I'm so glad you came, I half expected you to back out at the last minute." Jen laughed as she stood up to hug me. I laughed and hugged her tightly back briefly.

"Another wager?" I smirked.

"Another?" Christian asked, smiling at me genuinely.

"Oh we're always betting on something or other." Jen quickly changed the subject.

"It's good to see you." Christian smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Likewise." I tried very hard not to blush around him but Oh. My. God! he looks so good!

"I'm going for some drinks, you want one?" Brian asks me.

"Oh yes please, vodka martini. Thank-you." I smile easily and he seems surprised again. I rarely drink but I decided to let my hair down a little this evening.