Chapter 27

Wilda Quecorn Pov, August 13th, 2020, 6:00 AM

This was stupid. This was so very stupid. I got back at midnight last night and couldn't fall asleep until two in the morning. Now it's 6:00 AM, and I eyelids are fighting against me again.

Brecken was awake this morning. He was supposedly sick again, but awake early.

I was cutting up the cinnamon bread that I guess Brecken probably cooked in the middle of the night or something.

He was on the couch, however, watching the television.

I was pretty lonely without Seaborn around anymore, so I had to question Brecken about his sickness now that he's hot nowhere to run to.

"Brecken, so um, about your sickness...." I began.

He gave me a dark, unblinking gaze in response.

"Because Brecken, if you aren't actually sick, then I can't give you a portion of medicine. I don't want to waste it on some eight year old faker!"

He sat up properly. "Why?"

He seemed like he was up for a challenge or something.

"My family is in trouble. They're ill, dying maybe, and I am the only one you can save them, even if it means stealing the thing!"

"Well, at least you're not the Queen."

"What?"

"She's turning to stone, you know."

"The Queen is? Queen Faryal?"

"Yep! I noticed at the ball." Brecken whispers as if he's a high school gossiper.

"No way, really?"

"Her wings.... stopped working. It's obvious."

"Is it really?"

"She didn't move them once." A smile spread across his face.

A flashback came into my brain as I remembered Queen Faryal grabbing Onora right from the crowd just to hang the Disco ball for her. In fact, the only time I saw Queen Faryal fly was plenty of times all on the day that I first met that woman.

"Why would she turn to stone? She doesn't have a disease. She's relatively young-"

"She's got a disguise now. It's called the Ghost disease."

Brecken tells me dark before taking a casual, childish sip of his orange juice.

Then a thought hit me like a crazy bus.

The bus driver who wouldn't stop talking told us something about there are more ghosts in Angel City, but they aren't with you, they're within you, in your dreams.

But how is that so? Would Queen Faryal really disobey whatever ghost appeared in her dream? Because the Bus Driver made it sound terrorfying.... it is terrorfying.

I stopped eating for a couple of seconds because I was so caught up in my thoughts about ghosts.

But what happens if you do obey them? Do you get what you want, or does life just move along?

The Bus Driver said that they come to you in your dreams. Does he mean sleeping? Because dreaming could be technically something you could do while being awake. So now I have to wonder about what that means, being I can not turn to stone.

I sat by the television with Brecken again. A commercial played about a hair spray product that was Queen approved.

"See! Her wings are folded! She can't use them!" Brecken's points at the screen accusingly when Queen Faryal appeared infront of the hair spray store with some other fancy people singing the jingle.