Part 7

The Myrtles Plantation

Located in the deep American south, where summers are warm, and the air is thick with the spirits of overworked slaves and brutal masters, lies the Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville, Louisiana. With its majestic wrap around veranda, blue trim, and 20 rooms, it sits on high ground, appearing like a fortress as you approach. 

It appears to be something out of a storybook. However, its history is not for the faint of heart.

Our story begins with a newly married couple, Mr. & Mrs. Clarke Woodruff. Mr. Woodruff was a prestigious Judge and owned numerous slaves – as was the norm at the time. One of his house slaves went by the name of Chloe, who for many years fell victim to Woodruff's cruelty.

Chloe tried to protect herself from the abuse by listening in to the Woodruffs' conversations and modifying her behavior. 

One day, after being caught eavesdropping, Woodruff had Chloe's ears cut off. Forcing her to carry the shame and disfigurement the rest of her life. Her mutilation was hidden, at the request of the Woodruff's, by the use of a green turban. No one would see this terrifying mark, but the painful experience would stay with Chloe and inspire her to make plans for revenge.

On the 9th birthday of the Woodruff's daughter, Chloe placed poisonous into the cake. Chloe's plan was to poison Mrs. Woodruff and their children. Some sources claim that it was never her intention to kill the three family members. 

They suggest that Chloe wanted to get them sick so she could nurse them back to health. In the south, local healers were among the most respected of the community. If Chloe could heal the family, she would be safe from the harsh reality of working in the fields.