Part 13

Elizabethan House Museum 

Built in 1596 by local merchant Benjamin Cawper on the quayside of Great Yarmouth is the historic home made famous by its connections to Oliver Cromwell.

Cromwell regularly visited his friend here, John Carter, a prominent local merchant and town bailiff who purchased the property from Benjamin Cawper in 1635.

In fact, the home was used as a regular meeting place for the Parliamentarians during the Civil War, and it's believed this is where the execution of King Charles I was decided in November 1648.

In addition to such a remarkable history, the building has been home to fourteen different families over three centuries until 1949, when the last surviving member of the Aldred family passed away, bequeathing it to the National Trust.

With such a long history and so many families living their last days here, it's little wonder remnants of its past still wonder its interior to this day.

An interior that is so pleasing on the eye during the day, takes on a whole new and creepy feeling at night. It's a real test to the most hardened ghost hunter, as this historic home is known for its incredible paranormal activity.

Perhaps most unnerving is the shocking sighting of period-dressed full-bodied apparitions that are witnessed walking through its dark and imposing rooms.

Disembodied footsteps are common throughout the building, and poltergeist activity has been witnessed several times.

A ghost hunt at the Elizabethan House Museum is certainly a test of your nerves. The constant feeling of being watched adds to the occasionally overwhelming sense of being unwelcome in the home. A strong male spirit makes his presence known through bangs, gusts of wind, and sudden temperature drops.

Many spirits are wandering this historic home. Some are happy you're there, some are oblivious, and a few are particularly upset you're intruding in their abode!