Part 43

STANLEY PALACE IN CHESTER

Stanley Palace is a 16th Century mansion in the heart of the historic and incredibly haunted city of Chester in the North West of England.

Built in 1591 on the site of an old priory dating back hundreds of years prior, Stanley Palace has a vast history stretching back to Medieval times. With such a long and storied past, it's little surprise this place garners so much interest in the paranormal world.

Perhaps most famously known for its involvement in the civil war, the house was used to hide supporters of King Charles and later became a prison for those waiting to be sent for execution.

The stories of paranormal activity inside this World Heritage Site are as vast as its history. Locals and volunteers have reported a significant amount of strange happenings over the years.

The disembodied sounds of children laughing and singing are a frequent occurrence, often accompanied by the sound of them running room to room.

The spirit of James Stanley (7th Earl of Derby), who was executed in the 17th century, has been seen walking throughout the building. He was held at Stanley Palace back in 1651 before being escorted to Bolton for his public beheading.

"Black Friars", a dark and malevolent spirit has been known to show himself to unsuspecting visitors, and the apparition of a woman has been witnessed playing the piano to her supposed lover.