Part 20

The house's history is further enriched by its connection to notable figures, including Charles Edward Stuart, also known as Bonnie Prince Charlie. He dined with Sir Hugh Paterson, the second baronet, in September 1745 and later used Bannockburn House as his headquarters during significant military campaigns. During his stay, he met Clementina Walkinshaw, who would become his lover and the mother of his child.

The house changed hands several times over the centuries, passing to the Ramsey Family in 1787 and later to Alexander Wilson in 1883. Wilson, a member of the renowned Bannockburn weaving family, made significant additions and changes to the property.

In the 20th century, the house was sold to James Mitchell, the Sheriff Substitute of Stirling, in 1910, and later to millionaire A.E Pickard in 1962. After changing ownership a few more times, the house was placed on the market in 2016. A local Community Trust formed with the goal of purchasing the house for the community and the people of Scotland, successfully acquiring the property in November 2017 through public funding and grants.

Today, Bannockburn House stands as a testament to Scotland's rich history, with many of its 17th-century features still intact, including molded timber wall panels, elaborate plasterwork, and decorative fire surrounds. Its storied past and architectural beauty continue to captivate those who visit, making it a treasured landmark for generations to come.

End...