Part 24

CLOSEBURN CASTLE

This magnificent castle, dating back to the mid-13th century – early 14th century and nestled within 20 acres of the secluded Scottish countryside, is the oldest tower house in Scotland and one of the oldest continuously inhabited buildings in the country.

A ghost hunt at Closeburn Castle is a ghost hunter's dream. Not only does it have a long list of paranormal goings-on with links to a centuries-old family curse and a mysterious lady in black, but it's also a location with a vast and fascinating history!

Ghost hunting here with Haunted Rooms will give you unrivalled access to this amazing building, its most haunted areas, and the dungeons.

The lands were first confirmed to the Kirkpatrick family in 1232 by Alexander II. Sir Roger de Kirkpatrick was an ally to Robert the Bruce and assisted him in the murder of John "the Red" Comyn in Dumfries in 1306.

His son, also Sir Roger, commanded forces to recapture the castles Caerlaverock and Dalswinton from the English in 1355. Sir James Lindsay later murdered him at Caerlaverock in 1357.

The house stayed within the Kirkpatrick up until 1783, when it was sold to Reverend James Stuart-Menteath, and it exchanged hands several times before returning to the Kirkpatrick family when Luis Kirkpatrick purchased the property in 1981.

The descendants of Roger de Kirkpatrick still live in the property, with Luis' son, Patricio, the current owner.

End...