Chapter 1

The hot sun was beating down on us even from under the tent. My sweatshirt is overheating me but I refuse to take it off while my legs are feeling constricted by the black jeans around them. I'm looking up some assignments that need to be completed by the end of the week when someone sits down across from me. I look up and see my cousin sitting there.
"Did you need something Jason?" I don't look up from my computer screen while I see him wave a hand in front of my face until I look at him.
"Not much cuzzo just wondering what you're up to."
I point at my computer while raising my eyebrows, "School work." He nods and opens his mouth to say something but then closes it.
"So tonight me and the guys are going out to eat for dinner and they told me to invite you. If you don't want to go, that's fine. I just didn't want you to be left out since you're staying with me for the summer." I giggle and smile.
"You sure the guys wouldn't mind me being there?"
He shakes his head. "You already know some of them from supercross already and they all told me to invite you." I nod and go back to my school work and he ruffles my hair. I hate that I'm his younger cousin, I wish I was older than him. We have a somewhat big age difference between us but not much.

After the races I meet him back at the trailer where I pack up all my stuff and get ready for dinner. Jason has to go inside the trailer and change when he gets back so I sit down at one of the tables they haven't put away yet.
"You must be Jason's little cousin." I roll my eyes and look up at the voice. "My name's Hunter."
I stand up and reach a hand out to him. "Delilah. And I'm not little, just younger." He chuckles and shakes my hand.
"Jason tells me that you're from Michigan, but you're spending the summer with him so we'll see you at all of the races this year."
"Yeah except I might be around here more often after I get my degree."
His eyebrows raise and smiles at me. "What are you going for?"
"Journalism. Specifically film and media."
"Oh cool! Maybe one day you'll be interviewing me when I win a 450 championship. Hi I'm Jett!"
I stare at the kid for a moment taking in all of his features before Hunter coughs and brings me out of it.
"Hi, sorry. I'm Delilah."
"Cool, did Jason manage to convince you to come with us to dinner tonight?"
I'm taken aback by all the questions and how enthusiastic he is. It's just been a while since I was really happy and now having to spend the summer with Jason cause my parents are fighting is just adding to it. At least I get some semi quiet time to work on my schooling.
"Uh, yeah he did. I'm just waiting for him to change and then I think we were going to leave."
Jason comes out of the trailer just then and walks over to us.
"You guys ready? Everyone else canceled so it will just be us four." I looked at him in shock. He told me there would be people I knew there. Now it will just be Hunter and his extremely enthusiastic brother.
Don't get me wrong I don't mind Jett. I just can't get on his level of energy. I don't even want to eat dinner anymore. I don't want to eat at all, let alone in front of an attractive guy.

When we get to the restaurant we pile out of the Uber and go inside to the hostess stand.
"Reservation for four for Anderson." She looks down the list and nods when she must find his name. She leads us to a private table in the back of the restaurant. Jason and Hunter sit down next to each other which leaves Jett and I on the other side.
"So what are you like? What do you enjoy doing?" He puts his chin in his palms and looks at me expectantly.
"Nothing really." I mumble and I see Jason give me a look telling me to open up and be nice. "I sing. Kind of. Not in front of people or anything. Just in my car and the shower."
"Woah really? That's so cool. Maybe sometime I'll get you to sing in front of me."
I chuckle a little and shake my head. "Not likely." He shrugs and starts to eat his food.

When we go to leave the restaurant, I ask the boys if they could take a picture of me and Jason together. They say yeah and take it for us.

DelilahA: had a great night with the cuzzo and friends❤️

Elhombre21: glad you're spending some time with us this summer.

Jettson18: look how pretty my best friend is!

Hunterlawrence: it was so nice meeting you. Can't wait to see you around the track more.

Hunter gives me a side hug while Jett gives me a full on hug, surprising me to say the least.
"We're gonna be best friends. I can already tell."
I smile at him. "You know what, I wouldn't mind that actually. I don't really have a best friend right now."
"Good. Goodnight Delilah."
"Goodnight Jett." We wave to each other and then walk to our separate cars.
I get in and smile to myself. Jett isn't so bad. Still very energetic for me but not too bad anymore. I guess he was just really excited when we first met.

We get home and Jason and I settle onto the couch to watch tv together. I hear my stomach growl with hunger but I force it away. I'm trying to only eat three meals a day from now on and not snack anymore. Some days it's easier than others. Jason tells me I look fine the way I am but my clothes don't fit like they used to. Jason gives me a side eye when he hears my stomach and gives me a knowing look. I just shake my head and keep watching the tv.

I don't know what time it is when I wake up on the couch until I look at my phone. 4:30. I go up to my makeshift room and fall into bed. I have to be up at seven and two and a half more hours of sleep doesn't sit right with me. We're going to the next track so they can do their media day, whatever that is. But I'm excited to see what it is with it being my major and all.