Chapter 8

Days were passing by, and the Student of the Year competition was getting closer. The playful atmosphere had transformed into serious concentration, as students were now preparing for the upcoming challenges. While everything seemed relatively unchanged for everyone else, it was still a struggle for both Rohan and Abhi. And then, the day arrived when the Dean announced that the Student of the Year competition would commence for the final year students.

Dean: Good morning, boys and girls. The Student of the Year competition is divided into three sections: first, the treasure hunt; then, the dance competition; and finally, the Triathlon. These segments will test your three As - Academics, Arts, and Athletics. After each segment, four contestants will be eliminated. But before all of this, there's the elimination round, which is the IQ test. Boys and girls, it's showtime now.

The entire college campus had transformed into what seemed like a library. Students who were rarely seen near the library were now studying in cafes. It was a unique environment. Everyone was aware of the IQ test, and many had to pretend that they were not interested in any of this.

Shruti: You're studying for the test?

Shanaya: No, you?

Shruti: Me? No, I'm sleepy.

After saying this, Shruti tucked herself into her blanket and started reading with the help of touch. Shanaya, on the other hand, concealed her book behind her fashion magazine and continued reading. Sudo was sitting in the library, and Rohan had turned a music note stand into a makeshift book holder for his study. But poor Jeet's situation was the worst, as he wasn't very smart, leaving him with no other option but divine intervention.

Jeet (in a temple): Everyone is falling all over their textbooks... But I want to only... fall at your feet! Help me, Saraswati Maa!

The first stage began, where everyone was writing down answers from their brains and memories. Meanwhile, Jeet was ticking answers based on divine intervention.

Jeet: Hail God, Mother A... Hail God, Mother B...

And then came the gut-wrenching day—the announcement of the Top 16. While all the friends' selections had been expected, it was shocking to realize that it wasn't Abhi or Sudo but Jeet who secured the first spot. Sudo was flabbergasted, and when they all gathered in one place, Sudo jumped onto Jeet like he was trying to break Jeet's back.

Jeet: Stop... You... What are you doing? You bulldozer...

Abhi: Enough... enough... He will die!

Sudo: Here... go...

Jeet: You fatso...

Sudo: Sit... Sit here and tell me...

Jeet (in pain): My bum...

Sudo: How did you come first? How did you?

Jeet: I told you... I just took the Mother's name and ticked the answers... All of them turned out right... Say Hail God Mother! Say it aloud... Hail God Mother!

Sudo: Is your godmother exclusive? She'll only listen to you?

Jeet: Pseudo, you are a minority... Very few of you are left... So you say will Mother listen to the majority or to you?

Sudo: Now there's this new system among the Gods too?

Rohan: You drama queen, why are you crying? We are all in the Top 16... How does it matter who wins and who loses?