32. A Family of Four

JANIE

I remained in the backseat, quietly engaged in my raging thought.

What if Luciano never stops looking for me? Would he kill this family if he finds out they were the ones that rescued me?

Chills surged down my spine at the thought of that.

For a fact, Luciano was still a ruthless mafia king, irrespective of being stuck in a wheelchair. He had lots and lots of lapdogs, willing to bark at the snap of his fingers. But a part of me was pretty sure he would never get to find me again.

L.A. was quite large, as long as I stayed out of his territory, it would be like- going on a wild goose chase for him.

"We are home!" The middle-aged man announced as he pulled the truck to a halt in front of a Mediterranean-styled mansion and then switched off its engine. "Get your things out of the trunk, Noel."

I watched the boy addressed as Noel alighted the truck, picked up his bag and slung it over his shoulder then closed the door. Hence, my attention was averted as soon as the middle-aged man turned to look at me.

"Yikes, you really need proper treatment." He said, surveying the bruises on my body closely. Afterward, he sighed, came out of his truck then helped me out too.

A part of me was wondering why he was treating me as if I was some sort of maimed little girl, who couldn't make use of her legs. Nonetheless, I didn't protest. Instead, I let him take my bag in his left hand, then used the other to guide me toward the front porch of their huge house.

After packing some of his things, Noel opened the front door, patiently waiting for his father and me to trudge past before leaving to get the rest from the truck.

Meanwhile, my lips parted open in shock as soon as I took in the interior decor of the house. If I mentioned that the exterior was glamorous......this was magnificent.

A diamond-embedded chandelier hung loosely on the ceiling, sparkling across the whole lounge and over a couple of creme-colored sofas. My eyes traveled from the ingenious setting of the lounge to the pictures hung upon the beige-painted walls.

It was then I realized the man who rescued me from the road was a cop, and he had a family of four.

Him. His blonde wife donned a white nurse attire, Noel, and beautiful young-looking red hair.

"Oh my goodness, you are back!" A squeaky pitched tone resonated across the lounge and I tossed my head in that direction to see a blonde woman rushing out of a hallway over to us.

Unlike the picture, she seemed a bit older but incredibly pretty.

Her smile radiated across the room as she kept making her way toward us. But then the moment her eyes landed on me, she paused in her track.

I watched her face pale and her lips parted as she scanned me from head to toe then blurted. "Honey, who is she?"

"It's a long story, sweetheart. Can we please discuss it over lunch?" The middle-aged man requested while she kept issuing me a quizzical look.

And I felt nervous and uncomfortable.

However, as soon as Noel strolled through the front door, her face instantly lit up with a smile and she darted off to envelope him in a hug.

"Noel, I miss you so much!" She squeaked, planting small kisses all over his face.

"Stop it, Mom. I'm no longer a kid." Noel complained whereas she giggled in response.