Chapter 15 - Meeting

Aelin watched as Ijekiel and the princess conversed.

They've become quite close with each other, haven't they?

In the original novel, the times that Athanasia and Ijekiel had interacted with each other could be counted on one hand, and the majority of them weren't very pleasant interactions.

But here, they seemed to be getting along quite well, with Ijekiel teasing the princess, and Athanasia keeping up with the banter, if not starting it. Aelin smiled fondly at the two, before he saw Athy suddenly flush red, whether it be embarrassment or something else, the blond didn't know, but the moment it happened, a familiar black haired boy had appeared out of nowhere, and stood between the princess and the silver haired boy.

What was Lucas doing here? Was he not busy? After all, isn't that the reason he was back at the palace; to finish his work?

Questions swarmed Aelin's mind, but he quickly shook them off, and went back to eavesdropping on the trio. One thing led to another, and Lucas eventually dragged the princess out of the library; Aelin sighed in relief as they left through the door, at least he knew where the exit was now.

The emerald-eyed boy slowly stood up and walked out of the aisle quietly, as not to alert anyone else who might still be in the library. Just as he made it about halfway down the hall, he heard soft footsteps walking in his direction. He picked up his pace, and so did the footsteps. Just as he was about to sprint, he tripped, and everything went in slow motion.

Aelin braced himself for the fall and stuck his arm out, but instead he felt someone grab him; one hand grabbed his wrist, and the other grabbed his waist. The blond haired boy was pulled back into an embrace, and he didn't need to turn around to know who it was. He could spot soft, silver hair from the corner of his eyes, and he could feel the owner of those soft locks chuckling at his reaction to being pulled back, the small laugh vibrating against his back. Aelin was sure that his face was beet red, and trembled in embarrassment.

His saviour leaned in and spoke into his ear, causing him to shiver.

"We meet again, my fairy."

◈❈◈

Apparently his legs had gone numb from being in the crouching position he was in to eavesdrop the conversation earlier, so now Aelin was being carried like a princess in Ijekiel's arms. The blond had protested against the idea, saying that his legs would go back to normal if he walked around a bit, only to have Ijekiel laugh at him when he got up and nearly fell a second time.

"I suppose a fairy is graceful even when they fall."

Aelin sighed at Ijekiel's teasing comment.

"What is it with all the fairy comparisons lately? It feels like some kind of inside joke that I'm not getting..."

"Well to me, it would be the graceful way you dance, perhaps you could even be the fairy queen."

The blond blushed at the sudden attack.

"W-why the queen? Why not the king?"

Ijekiel gave the emerald-eyed boy a smile, as if he was waiting for the question.

"Because your beauty is incomparable to any other fairy, of course."

Aelin flushed, dumbfounded at the response; when did that innocent, gentle-looking boy from before get so flirtatious and playful?