Chapter Seventy-Five: Attempt

Minju held her fish bag in front of her face, smiling while it swam around its container. She occasionally diverted her attention to the area in front of her--peering through the bag to ensure she didn't walk into anyone.

"What's its name?" Y/n asked.

"I'm thinking Shiro," she replied.

An amused smile spread across Y/n's face as they approached a clothing store. The large glass windows provided a clear view into the building, displaying all of Y/n's disinterest from the inside.

Y/n pointed to the wall next to the door, "I'm going to sit over there while you shop. Do you want me to hold onto Shiro while you go inside?"

Minju shook her head, "I'll be okay. Are you sure you don't want to buy matching outfits or something?"

"I don't like shopping."

"Maybe I'm glad you weren't there when the class hung out together," Minju mumbled.

She entered the large store with Shiro in hand, leaving Y/n sighing at his designated spot. In the corner of his eye he watched a small girl approach him. Her pastel pink bucket hat covered her eyes, but also matched with the cardigan that dropped below her denim mini-skirt.

"Y/n oppa! It's been a while," Riwon beamed.

"I knew it was you," Y/n squinted. "What are you doing here?"

"Shopping with the money I got from last mission~"

Y/n chuckled, shaking his head, "Don't spend it all in one place."

"Thanks!" The small girl took one step, freezing in place before turning back toward the older boy, "Why did you leave the academy?"

Y/n pursed his lips. He rubbed the back of his neck, exhaling softly. "I lost my allele."

"Allele? What was it?" Riwon questioned.

"I could make weapons."

"Make weapons..." she trailed. "So nothing really changes, right?"

Y/n furrowed his eyebrows, "What?"

"You can just have a weapon on you. That makes it no different from what you used to do, right?" Riwon reasoned.

"What are you talking about?" Y/n stared through Riwon's hat, observing her innocent expression.

Riwon hummed, pinching her chin, "Let's fight. I'm not good with words, but I'm good with weapons."

Y/n shook his head, gesturing with it toward the shop's entrance, "I'm out with someone right now. Besides, I'm done with academy stuff. I'm living a normal life."

A hint of disappointment spread weighed at the corner's of Riwon's mouth. "If you say so. You'll know where to find me if you want to know what I mean."

Gently, Riwon waved before walking off to a different shop. She swung her head around, bouncing between both sides of the street as if struggling to pick a single stop.

It's not just my allele that's gone. My energy's gone too.

Minju hummed as she approached the changing rooms at the back of the store. She entered the doorway labeled 'female', revealing a large hall lined with changing rooms.

"Wow... I guess I'll take the last one."

Neatly, she placed her bottoms atop the single stool, gently resting Shiro's bag on the soft clothes. As she turned around to hang her selected shirts and its variants, Shiro grew--tearing the bag open. Minju's ears perked at the sound of water tapping on the wooden floorboards, causing her to widen her eyes.