23: logan

There's a knock on the door of my room and I huff frustratedly, tossing my phone onto the bed. This better be Hunter with an explanation as to why he failed to mention a fuck ton of important details. I want to kill him.

I open the door, both happy and mad to see that it is Hunter. I can see the apology on his face already, and it honestly makes me happy to know that he at least knows how fucked up this is. We went all day without a chance to talk about this because there was so much going on. All I really came into this knowing was that Bailey was the brother than ran away at some point and worked as a sex worker, but other than the time my mother brought it up on the phone with him, we haven't spoken about it. I'm sure that has something to do with whatever is bothering him so much.

I know I don't know the story, but it was so frustrating to see everyone handle Hunter with kid gloves. Every time someone brought up the engagement or really anything, I noticed that someone would look at him to gauge his reaction.

"Will you come with me? I don't want anyone to hear us." He says quietly and it's not an unreasonable request.

"Yeah, let me just grab my shoes."

He shoves his hands in his pockets, nodding.

He leads me down the stairs and out in the yard before following a path into a field. It's dark, but surprisingly there's enough light from the stars and the moon that I don't trip over my own feet.

"Do you really think I'm going to yell at you so loud that we need to walk all this way to talk about this?"

"I'm really hoping you don't yell at me, and I don't think you're going to yell at me, but I also know how nosy my family is. I wouldn't put it past one of them to hide in a tree if we talked in the front yard." He says, coming to a stop so he can sit on the ground. I follow, sitting down next to him.

"You're right. I'm not going to yell at you because I don't know what happened. All I do know is that you carry this hurt around inside of you that you think no one can see and I'm willing to bet that this has something to do with it. Now do I wish you had given me more of a heads up than we're pulling up the driveway and then saying 'please don't kill me' because all that does is make me want to kill you!" I wave my hands dramatically because I don't know what else to do with them.

"I don't know how to just bring up the worst thing I've ever done Logan. I still don't. I can barely explain it to myself and to my therapist, but I'm trying." He says, his voice breaking as he avoids looking at me, instead looking up at the stars.

Holy shit. Hunter's in therapy? I don't understand what he could have done that was so bad? He was dating a girl, they broke up, and she started dating his twin? I don't see how that reflects so poorly on Hunter. If anything, it reflects poor on her, and if I hadn't seen the way she looked at Bailey like he hung the moon and the stars, I'd think something entirely different.

I reach over and grab his hand, intwining it with mine. He asked me to be here and if I'm being honest, I can't imagine being anywhere else. Forget the fact that we slept together, because I don't know what this is between us, but there's something here.

Hunter looks at me, unshed tears glimmering in his eyes and his hair falling into his forehead. "Please don't hate me for my mistakes. I'm trying to be better."

"Hey, I see you and the person you're trying to be. I'm not going to hate you." I reassure him, turning to face Hunter to give him my undivided attention.

Instead of talking, Hunter moves closer, kissing me deeply. It catches me by surprise because obviously this isn't what I thought was going to happen, but now I understand him a little better even without knowing anything at all. Right now, he's kissing me because he needs reassurance that I'm not going anywhere. He's kissing me because I'm guessing that this was his way of distracting himself.