Chapter 15: Holidays (part 4)

December 24th, 2015

Sofía's POV

Christmas was most certainly just around the corner and I still didn't know what to get for Hecate. Though money was clearly an issue for me, I definitely wanted to give her a gift to show my appreciation. In the last few days she complained a lot about Fito being around in his probation period, but never actually treated him poorly as he was behaving himself in an excellent way. She was just... annoyed, perhaps, that I was going to get away with it. Of course, she was going to be judging if the probation week was a success or not, but for now, everything was going smoothly enough. Perhaps just a few pees out of place, but he wasn't neutered, so he was more propense to act that way.

Going back to the gift problem, I had been reading some books about Cackle's surroundings lately, and found out there was a wood nearby, called Hollow Wood, that provided many potion ingredients she would need for next term. It was supposed to be enchanted, and had these beautiful butterflies called Hypnopelions that were really dangerous, but they were extinct, so I wouldn't have a problem with that. I decided to have a go and fetch some items before it got dark, so I could put some black ribbons around the baskets to make it better. Even if Hecate didn't want much decoration around the castle, she did in fact celebrate christmas, as opposed to my initial beliefs, so perhaps, while she was distracted, I could add some tiny bit of life around the undecorated tree that was in the corner of the hall, almost hidden for clueless eyes.

I teleported myself into Hollow Wood to get started with my task. The wind blew strongly that day, so it was easier for me to collect some raven feathers without having to climb the trees. It took me several hours but I managed to fill a whole basket of each ingredient I collected, that were raven feathers, grimly grass, fireflies and frog gloop (those two put in jars in the basket) and some more. I also came across some spider's eggs and bees but as I have arachnophobia and an immense fear for bees, I intentionally avoided grabbing those. She'd have to forgive me about that.

As I got back to the Academy, I decorated the baskets with some black and silver ribbons and walked down the stairs to start decorating the hall a little bit as well. I added a silver star on top of the tree, christmas ornaments that matched the star and some black ones all around the tree and some black and white socks at the chimney. I knew it wasn't christmas colour-like, but I didn't want to push my luck with Hecate by adding more colour. As I finished, I yelled her name through the whole school, but never got a reply. That was weird. I also couldn't find Fito anywhere. I went to check to her room to see if she was there, or if something was wrong. I knocked on the door and it opened a few seconds later. What a relief.

"Yes?" her lovely face appeared through the door. She wasn't smiling but I noticed she was relaxed and that made me feel calm as well. During school days I rarely saw that expression in her face, so I was glad she finally had a moment to relax. The incident a few days before didn't let our holidays start as smoothly as we would have wanted, but then there was peace again.

"Sorry to disturb, I was just checking on you, because I couldn't find you anywhere. Got scared for a second."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I've just been reading the final book of the saga you gave me. It's pretty intense."

"Yeah, I know. Glad you're liking it though. Perhaps you can bring it downstairs after dinner."

"Sure. It'll be ready in like thirty minutes or so, I've been checking on it."

"Great." I answered just before I heard some sniffing from behind the door. A few seconds later, a furry head appeared next to Hecate's feet. Fito started moving his tail quick as he saw me and jumped at me to get caressed. "Hey boy! How did you get here?"