Chapter 4

"So where do we sit?" I ask Calum, looking around the cafeteria to find free seats but of course, they are all taken.
"Come with me, I know a quiet place where we can chill." He says, pushing me through the doors.
As we pass another door, Calum stops and pulls me towards it. "Here, walk upstairs." He says, looking at the ceiling.
"Where are we going?" I ask him, turning around so I can look at him.
"To the roof, let's go Char-on" he says, laying emphasis on the last part. I smile and do as he says.
A beautiful view over the city appears as I'm taking in every single detail.
"I know right." Calum says as he takes a seat, pulling up his knees to his face and placing his lunch close to mine.
"It's gorgeous. How did you find this?" I ask him, still astonished.
"I used to come here with some friends but they all left school last year. Well, one of them just transfered to this school actually. Last summer. She's a friend of mine and I think you two would get along pretty well actually."
"Introduce me!" I say, standing up.
"She's moved here from Melbourne, but I have known her for a few years now. And as I said, she just transfered schools. Oh wait, weren't you Dutch?"
I nod, stating I am.
"She is too! You should really meet!" He exclaims. I grab his wrist and try to pull him up,but he's too strong.
"Sit down! I'm hungry. We should eat this first. And you better finish it soon or I will eat whatever's left of your lunch after I finished mine." He tells me while laughing. I start laughing as soon as he takes a bite of his sandwich. "What?" He asks with his mouth fully covered with sauce.
"You got a little... Uh...." I point at my own face at the exact same spot where his is covered. He quickly wipes it off with a napkin and says; "Don't laugh at me. I know you're very very sorry, so in return, to make it up, I will forgive you if I can have your lunch."
I start laughing and hand him my lunch bag.
"I'm now forgiven." I say to him and take a sip of my soda.

Suddenly we hear someone walking up the stairs. Calum shoots up and hugs the girl. She's wearing denim shorts and the blue crop top I was wearing, hanging loosely over her shoulders.
"This is the girl I was talking about." Calum says, putting an arm around her waist.
I stand up and introduce myself.
"She's Dutch, Sandrine!" He says to the girl.
We immediately start talking Dutch and Calum doesn't understand shit we say.
After a few minutes of just looking to Sandrine and me talking, he interrupts us by saying that the bell is about to ring and we have to get downstairs.
"So, which class are you having next?" I ask Sandrine in English so Calum will understand us too. "Algebra. You?" She says, swinging her backpack over her shoulder. I raise my hand, signaling for her to give me a high five. She understands and raised her hand too. "So we're sitting next to each other okay?" She says smiling. I nod in agreement.
Calum picks up my bag and hands it to me. I take it from him and swing it over my shoulder. "Okay we're going, bye Calum! I'll see you around, okay?" Sandrine says as she quickly gives him a hug. I wave Calum goodbye and Sandrine and I start running down the stairs on our way to algebra.

Sandrine and I are making the exercises together while talking. "So, where do you live now?" I ask her. She says a street name and I immediately recognize it. "No fucking way?!" I scream.
The teacher looks over at us and gives us an angry face.
We quietly laugh, and she asks; "why did you say that?"
"Well.. My address literally differs one number. You live at 67, I live at 68. We are neighbors!" I tell her.
"Are you serious?!" She yells in excitement.
Mister Foster walks over to us and hands us a note.
I start reading it.
'Detention note. Pick it up at the pricipals office.' It says.
"Well done ladies, your first day and you're already in detention. I think this is going to be a long year. Get out of my class" mister Foster angrily responds at our laughter. We grab our books and make our way to the office.

--------

As I'm about to go to bed I get a text message from an unknown number saying
'Hey Char, since I'm picking up Sandrine tomorrow around 8, I figured I could pick you up too. She told me you were neighbors so, uh.. Yeah text me back if you're up for it :) -Calum.'
I smile. How cute is this kid!? I tell my mom I'm getting a ride tomorrow and as soon as she agrees I text Calum back.
'That's really sweet of you. See you tomorrow :) x' I quickly respond and I turn my phone off, not waiting for a response.
I plug in my charger and lay down on my bed. I think about how my first day was. Honestly, it was pretty fucking amazing. I already made friends, which I didn't really have in Holland. Just a few good ones, the others were all just gossiping snitches. Oh well.. I feel my eyes shutting of tiredness and I turn around to find a comfortable position to sleep in.