¹¹. ᶜᵒᵘⁿᵗᵉʳᵇᵃˡᵃⁿᶜᵉ ᵒᶠ ᶜʰᵉᵐⁱᶜᵃˡˢ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 || 𝘊𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘊𝘩𝘦𝘮𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘴

"NAT!"

Natasha pushed off the wall and faced Nova who had Booker in tow. A panicked look on the Usoros' faces. Woken up and startled so late at night about their father being in surgery had a way of doing that. Their worries lay more in the man who raised them.

"Where is he?" Nova questioned, stopping in front of Natasha. Glancing down the hall, hoping to spot any sign of Cooper and Maria.

The redhead's lips parted, shoulders slightly twitching. Nova frowned, grabbing Natasha's wrist, laughing uneasily. "Nat, what's going on? Is he okay? Is he in recovery or a coma or something?" Still, nothing. The empty words made Booker's jaw clench, moving past the pair and pushing open the door Natasha stood in front of, avoiding Natasha desperately trying to stop him.

It'd been far too late.

"Dad?" Booker whispered, stumbling back into the door that slammed against the wall, glass shaking under the sheer force. Covering his mouth with a choked cry.

"Why isn't nobody telling me anything?" Nova spat, heart, beginning to clench under the restraints of fear. "Let me see-"

"Nova, no!" Natasha held the woman from going any further. She shook her head, sniffling. "You don't want to."

For so long, Nova had put her money on the winning horse. Hoping that someday, she might be given her earnings and a pat on the back or something. All she wanted was validation and recognition that went beyond her work.

All she'd wanted was a father who loved her more than his or her work.

Now, looking between her brother and friend, she finally felt the fear steal the last bit of life in her heart. Forcefully moving past Natasha and just making it to the door for her brother to grab her and begin pulling her back. But she saw Nick. His lifeless body lying on a stretcher.

"No," she mumbled, eyes wide with tears brimming. "No. No! Dad! Dad, please- Booker, please!" She slapped his chest, fighting against his vastly larger frame. Crying out for a man she didn't get to say goodbye to.

She'd been too late.

The two siblings crumbled to the ground, holding one another. Confiding in one another over someone who likely was undeserving of the love.

Like many parents, Nick had helped them float above the water. But when they hit the age he saw them capable of surviving independently, he pushed them out to the ocean. If they sunk or swam it didn't matter to him. And although Booker had been sinking for years now, Nova felt like she was right by his side. Holding one another as they descended into the deep abyss.