¹³. ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᴵ ᴹⁱˢˢᵉᵈ ᴹᵒˢᵗ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘐 𝘔𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘔𝘰𝘴𝘵

NOVA REMEMBERED A TIME WHEN HER MIND WOULD BE AT A STANDSTILL WITH HER HEART. The gentle drum of her heart is slow and calm, and her mind can formulate coherent thoughts. Able to act on the drop of a dime and not second guess herself. She envied those years compared to now. She resented the person Fury had managed to shape her into. She wished to be back to dotting over Natasha every second of the day and playfully bickering with Cooper.

It only came back in fast and rapid sparks. Memories appeared behind her eyes, the city streets holding partial attention. At the time, they seemed inconsequential to her. But now, everything piling on, she'd do anything to go back to those simpler times. To live those moments once more in their entirety would be a gift.

The music softly humming through the speakers of her car silenced with the gentle ringtone alerted her. Gaze flickering to the screen in the center of the dash and seeing the contact: Natasha.

Pressing the answer button, Nova shifted in her seat and sniffled. "What's up, Nat?"

"Where are you right now?" Natasha inquired in a hushed tone, piquing Nova's interest.

Nova, shaking her head in slight confusion, looked at her surroundings. Searching for street signs that could tell her exactly where she was. "Uh, I do not know. Why? What's up?"

"Not on the phone. Ditch your phone and use that burner I gave you a few years back," Natasha explained. "Once you get my text, destroy that, all right?"

Inhaling deeply, Nova grabbed her iPhone and sighed. "Understood." Hanging up, Nova rolled her window down and tossed it out the window. Having a feeling some random homeless person will grab it or a vehicle will run over it. Either way, it will play out in her favour.

Lifting the console, she fished her hand through the multiple contents inside; hair ties, papers, sunglasses, and finally the tiny burner flip phone. She flipped it open and used the directional pad to cycle through the many icons until she opened her text messages. A single text message came from a random number, "Hospital. Make sure you're not tailed. Ditch your vehicle when you are near. Trust no one."

She nearly wanted to scoff at how stupid she was to not listen to Natasha's earlier warning that morning. Maybe if she'd taken her seriously, she wouldn't be feeling such a way at the moment. But she also knew that if she didn't find out Cooper was switching sides, the impact of it would've been a whole lot worse.