²¹. ᴴᵉˡˢⁱⁿᵏⁱ ᴼᵖ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄 || 𝘏𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪 𝘖𝘱

NOVA PLACED THE PAYPHONE AGAINST ITS MOUNT AND GLANCED AROUND. Biting the inside of her cheek she marched past the multitude of doors of the motel rooms. The cold metal gently kissing her lower back made her vigilance height with her eyes flickering to her surroundings. Keeping a steady pace with her hand gently reaching down to rub her upper thigh, clenching her jaw at the white-hot pain that shot up.

Running a hand through her hair as she pushed open the motel door and quickly kicked it shut with her foot. Thankfully, Andrei had likely joined his sisters in drinking while they planned what to do next. Which left Nova to slowly crumble to the ground beside the single bed and hold her head in her hands.

"Agent Barrett is the first member to be attacked. 5 attackers are dead and Ava Starr is in critical condition," Maria announced to the room filled with higher-end personnel and high-ranking agents. "Along with that, David Barrett is M.I.A. with his blood being found at the scene."

"Anything actionable?" Nova asked.

Maria sighed. "As far as intel goes, these 5 attackers do not correlate with any cells. Our best assumption is they raided the wrong house and paid for it."

Booker let out a laugh as he tapped his hand on the table, frowning. "So, what you're trying to tell me is David Barett–The Atlas–is M.I.A. with no further information on where he could be?" He asked, letting out a laugh as he glanced around the room. "I can't be the only one that finds that highly-fucking-unlikely?"

"Agent Grahm, we're working with what we know," Maria stated. "You are on a need-to-know basis from this point forward. If the modern Captain America is revealed to have gone missing, there'll be more than the Director to deal with."

"Then how do you expect us to sit on our hands and wait?" Nova questioned, staring at her colleague incredulously. "For most of us, David's our friend. We aren't going to wait."

"Is that a threat, Agent Usoro?" Fury's voice sent a chill down her spine as she looked at her Father seated in the corner of the room. His one eye sharpened as he challenged her abrasiveness.

Inhaling deeply and swallowing the lump in her throat she shook her head with a faint bow of her head. "No, sir."

"Good. Because you would've been grounded for the next year if had been." Standing from his seat, Fury moved to the door. "Need-to-know, people. You're all dismissed."

As Agents and personnel began to funnel out, Nova braced her hands on the edge of the table and sighed. Shaking her head as she glanced up at Booker. "There's gonna be hell to pay, you know?"