Chapter 20

Jordan was currently sitting in his seat at the head of the ISA meeting table, thinking about the most recent report Brainwave had given him about one of their newer operations, since it had just revealed a big threat to the ISA that had been right under their noses the whole time. The existence of Starman's secret daughter, who'd been growing up right under their noses here in Blue Valley. If there was even a chance that she had her father's staff, she could cause a real problem for the ISA, especially since she decided to pick up where her father left off.

"You wanted to see me?" Dr. Ito asked as he entered the room.

"Read this." Jordan said as he handed Ito Brainwave's report, since the three of them were the only ones who knew about this secret project.

"Our project has already yielded results. I didn't think that would happen until we got closer to Project New America's completion. Especially since Clariss hasn't had any luck in restoring his speed, so I've had to find another way to power it, most likely by drawing energy away from the Blue Valley power grid." Ito said.

"Well now that is the least of our problems." Jordan said and Ito nodded.

"We know where she lives now, do you want to take her out?" Ito asked.

"Not yet. I don't want to draw attention to ourselves just yet. I have a different tactic in mind. One that requires your daughter, so summon her." Jordan said and Ito immediately figured out what his plan was and he approved.

"Of course. I'm sure Cynthia will be happy to help." Ito said as he sent a message to his current wife to send his daughter down.

"I've been summoned?" Cindy Burman asked as she entered the room to find her father and Icicle staring at her.

"You have a chance to prove yourself here Cynthia." Jordan said, not knowing that Cindy already knew he was lying, but was curious about what he wanted.

"I'm kind of busy with my current mission of spying on Brainwave's son, who's not showing any sign of powers developing." Cindy said, annoyed that she had to keep living this lie.

"This new assignment takes priority." her father said.

"Okay, what is it?" Cindy asked.

"We've discovered that one of your classmates poses a significant threat to our plans." Jordan said.

"Which one?" Cindy asked, thinking that none of her fellow students could possibly be a threat.

"Courtney Whitmore." Jordan said, much to Cindy's shock.

"How can Whitmore be a threat?" Cindy asked.

"We've recently discovered that she is the daughter of Starman and if she's bonded with his staff." Jordan said and Cindy understood.

"So, what do you want me to do, since I'm assuming you don't want me to take her out, since you've already got two attack dogs for that." Cindy said, knowing the ISA's nickname for Sportsmaster and Tigress and she saw Jordan actually chuckle at that.

"You're correct. Your mission is to infiltrate Courtney's ranks and determine if she has the staff and if she does, if she's building a new JSA to oppose us. Once you do that, let us know and we'll take it from there." Jordan said.

"How did you find out that Courtney is Starman's daughter?" Cindy asked.

"That's none of your business. But Cynthia, do you accept this task?" her father asked.

"I don't have a choice about it do I?" Cindy asked.

"You do. But I think you know what the alternative is." Jordan said and Cindy nodded.

"Okay, I'll do it." Cindy said, though she didn't tell them that what they were asking would likely be impossible, since Courtney Whitmore hated her guts even more than Cindy hated her's. Though maybe this was exactly the opportunity she'd been looking for. She just hoped that she could use it right.

"Good. Now get to work. Find a way to ingratiate yourself in Courtney's inner circle and learn all you can to help us." Jordan said.

"I'll do my best." Cindy said.

"You'll complete your mission or you will face consequences." Ito said.

"Yes father." Cindy said, trying to resist the urge to grin, since her father had no idea, but he might have just given her the secret to her freedom.