Chapter 4: Punishment

There was a couple of birds who had made their nest in a nearby tree. Lan Xichen had seen them from his bedroom window and had decided to spend his free time outside today. The two birds flew back and forth carrying sticks and small pieces of moss to be used as construction materials. It was quite beautiful Lan Xichen thought, that these two had decided to build a home all of their own. Grateful to have the opportunity to watch such a thing happening in real time. But it didn't last long, a loud slam echoed throughout the cloud recesses and the birds scattered.

The sound could be heard from the direction of his uncle's place. Apparently the class hadn't gone well, especially considering it had ended early. In times like this it was best not to allow Lan Qiren to seep in his anger alone. It would only allow him to work himself up even more.

Knocking at his door Lan Xichen called out with a voice as soft as he could muster.

"Uncle?"

Lan Qiren could be heard composing himself before he responded.

"Lan Xichen, please enter"

Opening the door he was faced with his uncle sitting down, back straight. Lan Xichen listened as his uncle who, somewhat calmly, complained about a particularly disruptive student. He didn't need to mention who he was referring to, Lan Xichen already knew.

"Will uncle be alright overseeing the punishment or should I take over?" Lan Xichen offered.

"No need, Lan Wangji will take care of it" This didn't particularly ease Lan Xichen's worries, it simply shifted the problem around. Putting Lan Wangji in charge of the punishments was usually a good plan as most cultivators had great respect for the stone-faced Lan. But Lan Xichen had the sneaking suspicion that Wei Wuxian would not be one of them.

As his brother had needed to attend class this morning he had been the one to watch over Wei Wuxian's first punishment. He had been chatting and moving about during the entire thing. Perhaps it was for the best if he went to relieve his brother from his duty.

A group of cultivators could be seen peering into a window of the library pavilion where Wei Wuxian's punishment was taking place. They were crouched down on the ground, holding their breaths, entranced with the ongoing show. Lan Wangji was staring at Wei Wuxian who had made it over to his side, sitting on his desk. As Lan Xichen got closer to the group of cultivators he cleared his throat which caused them all to scatter.

It wasn't allowed to eavesdrop in Gusu, but Lan Xichen was too preoccupied with saving his brother to care about giving them anything more than a warning glance.

"Wei Wuxian" Lan Wangji said through gritted teeth. But he was ignored as the man on his desk was slowly scooching closer to him, little by little. "Stop it"

Lan Xichen could hear his brother growing more annoyed. He had completely stopped his writing and was staring down the man in front of him. Ignoring his words Wei Wuxian layed down on top of Lan Wangji's unfinished writings. Lan Wangji froze as not only his papers but his hands got covered as well.

"Wei Ying" he shouted, having reached his breaking-point.

"See, it wasn't that hard now was it Lan Zhan?" Wei Wuxian said moving back to his spot at his original desk. The undried ink of Lan Wangji's writings could be seen on the back of young master Wei's back.

Rule 13: Learning comes first

Rule 1044: Do not succumb to rage

Rule 405: Do not act impulsively

Lan Xichen had changed his mind. His brother had never been particularly expressive. But this man was certainly capable of pushing his buttons, perhaps this was exactly what he needed.