Chapter 18: Getting Worse

His uncle was furious, outright fuming. Lan Xichen had ignored his warning of not meeting Jiang Wanyin, just a day after being told to stay away. But he hadn't been able to help himself and seeing Nie Huaisang rush off he had the perfect excuse to approach. Nie Mingjue had entrusted his brother to him. As a good friend, how could he not step in to make sure everything was alright with his Huaisang.

Not that he had found out what Huaisang was up to. Though he could assume it was probably nothing good. Why else would young master Jiang tell such a lie to cover for his friend. Huaisang wasn't allowed to keep a pet, much less a dog. They had tried to get one when Huaisang was younger. For the purpose of keeping the lonely kid company, but as it turns out his older brother was allergic.

"Are you listening to me?"

"Apologies uncle, I seem to be rather absentminded today" Lan Xichen didn't usually zone out when being talked to. But it had been happening a lot more frequently over the past few days. Jiang Wanyin often caught his attention, even when not currently present. Though it wasn't ideal, Lan Xichen had made sure it wouldn't impact his duties.

"You certainly are. What are you thinking?" Before he could go on about his nephew's impulsive actions he remembered why he had approached him in the first place. "More importantly, what is this I've heard of a love letter? Please tell me it is unfounded."

"Oh" Although it supposedly was an apology letter, Wei Wuxian had called it that, hadn't he. Lan Huan had caught guest cultivators eavesdropping on the punishments before, perhaps they had done so yesterday as well. "It's nothing"

"How can you say it's nothing? To get such a thing and then act like this. This isn't how I raised you" It wasn't like Jiang Wanyin had given it to him, he had confiscated it. But explaining this difference to his uncle didn't help the situation.

"Whether it was meant for you or not, the disciples wont stop blabbering about it. How am I supposed to hold class when all my students are buzzing about how some troublesome rulebreaker is trying to seduce my nephew"

Lan Xichen didn't like the way Lan Qiren was talking about Jiang Wanyin. But commenting on it wouldn't achieve anything. Might even make things worse, so he bit his tongue. In times like this it was better to just allow his uncle to vent. But Lan Qiren had no such plan.

"Go get me that letter, If it's bad enough I might be able to fix this" Lan Qiren ordered.

"Fix?" Lan Xichen was concerned by his uncle's choice of words.

"It's not like we can throw out a future sect leader without proper cause. If the letter is incriminating enough we could all come to an amicable agreement." What he meant was that they could force Jiang Wanyin to leave the cloud recesses, pretending that he had done so out of his own volition.

"And if we're lucky we might just kill two birds with one stone. Imagine, the cloud recesses being peaceful once more" Lan Qiren added, referring to a certain Wei who was the cause of most of the bustle happening in Gusu.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you but I don't have it anymore" Lan Xichen was glad that he had managed to hand it back to the Jiang. Although the action had been done to gain points with Jiang Wanyin it turned out to have been a good move. This way Lan Huan wouldn't need to lie to his uncle. Lan Qiren was exacerbated. Stroking his goatee, he attempted to calm himself down.

"Uncle, I'm the one responsible for all of this mess. I made young master Jiang write that letter and then took it from him. Please punish me instead" Lan Qiren didn't seem too happy, but given no other way to solve it he gave his judgment.

"I guess we're left with no other choice. Travel to Qinghe and stay there for the next couple of months." Lan Xichen lifted his eyebrows.

"Don't you think you're taking this a bit too far?" Lan Qiren wasn't used to his nephew pushing back. He was usually very obedient. Lan Qiren's eyes narrowed. Sensing trouble Lan Xichen acted before his uncle had the chance to speak again.

"Lan Wangji asked me to help him out with a personal project. Since he wont have as much free time after taking back the punishment duties" Though the amount of time he had to spare would increase significantly if it weren't for having to deal with Wei Wuxian all the time. Something which Lan Xichen conveniently left out. His uncle sighed. Not wanting to hinder his nephews he reluctantly agreed.

"But no seeing young master Jiang. In fact, don't even leave the house. I'll bring you your paperwork. If Wangji needs your help he can go visit you himself."

That was it. He would be locked inside for the next couple of months. But it allowed him to be close by in case anything happened. Before walking off Lan Qiren warned him one last time.

"If I catch you two together again it's straight to Qinghe, got it?"

Lan Xichen nodded. Not being able to meet him directly didn't mean there weren't other ways to watch over the Jiang.