Chapter 24: Rescue Team

The next day Lan Xichen was yet again up to his ears in paperwork. It was seemingly never ending. Lan Qiren shouldn't be coming back until tomorrow so he hadn't been expecting him to come visit until then. However, he had expected his brother to turn up, but as the hours went by it seemed less and less likely.

Had Wei Wuxian been so injured that Lan Wangji had refused to leave his side? Lan Xichen was worried as well, but all he could do right now was to focus on his work. Without Wangji to help him it would take twice as long. Young master Wei would be fine. He was in the care of Lan Wangji, Nie Huaisang, and Jiang Wanyin.

Thinking about it, the Jiang must be worried too. Or perhaps he was standing next to him, reprimanding his brother for being irresponsible and getting hurt. Lan Xichen chuckled at the thought of Jiang Wanyin's frowning face as he lectured his injured brother.

Knock, knock

"Wangji, feel free to come in" Lan Xichen didn't bother getting up. They still had much work to complete before uncle returned tomorrow. If they didn't get it done in time Wei Wuxian would get scolded for keeping Wangji busy. Something neither of the Lans wanted. As the door opened he added a "How is Wei Wuxian doing?" wanting to calm his previous worry.

"Zewu-jun" The person standing at the entrance was the last person he had expected to see. And apart from the distraught expression on his face, he looked perfectly fine. "Please come help. I promise today it's for real"

Wei Wuxian admitted that yesterday's visit by Nie Huaisang had been nothing but a stunt to get him and Jiang Wanyin to meet. He had never actually been injured.

Lan Xichen thought back to his brother's frightened face the night before. Not only that but he had been running to come to his aid. Lan Wangji must've been furious once he found out the truth.

"How come Wangji isn't punishing you for your little stunt right now?"

"He was, but then Huaisang came and told us Jiang Cheng hadn't returned yet." Jiang Wanyin hadn't returned? Lan Xichen felt his pulse increasing. His body was preparing to act. Attentively he continued to listen as Wei Wuxian explained "After Lan Zhan dragged me back to the cloud recesses we never finished the game. But Jiang Cheng should be back by now, he wouldn't still be hiding" Wei Wuxian looked genuinely distressed. This time Lan Xichen didn't have a reason to question the validity of the story in the slightest.

It had been raining heavily all throughout the night. For Jiang Wanyin to still be out there, there was no way it was voluntary, something must've happened to him. Lan Xichen stood up. His uncle's orders be damned, he was going to help find Jiang Wanyin.

"Lan Zhan and Huaisang are already out there looking. But so far we've found nothing" Wei Wuxian said as the two walked side by side, heading to the place Jiang Wanyin was last seen.

According to Nie Huaisang the Jiang had walked east. It wasn't much to go off of especially since he'd been missing for hours and could've easily changed directions multiple times. But it was a start.

Wanting to search a bigger area the two of them split up. As Wei Wuxian knew which parts had already been searched, he instructed the Lan to go search the mountainous areas further away. He also handed him a small signal flare, one engraved with the initials LWJ. If any of them were to find young master Jiang they were to trigger their flare and everyone would reconvene back at the cloud recesses.

So if he ever saw a red light in the sky it was good, it would mean he had been found. Lan Xichen nodded. Then he stepped onto Shuoyue and flew off in the direction of Gusu's mountains. From up high he was able to get a bird's-eye view of the area. At first there were just trees, but as he went further the trees got replaced by rocks. Rocks as far as his eyes could see.

Jiang Wanyin wasn't stupid. With all of the rain from yesterday he wouldn't have spent his time out on flat uncovered ground. If he was around here somewhere, he would've likely headed towards one of the many caves. And so Lan Xichen spent his time flying from cave to cave, each time being met by nothing.

As he flew further and further away he eventually spotted a long trail of blood in the distance. It was probably just from an animal which had fallen prey to some predator. Still there was a growing worry at the back of his mind. One which only increased as he got closer and he identified that it was less than a day old. Lan Xichen couldn't help but think the worst, especially as he spotted a bloody handprint on one of the stones.

Had Wanyin been attacked? Lan Xichen's heart was racing and all he could do to stop himself from panicking was to remind himself that Jiang Wanyin was strong. Even without his sword, which Wei Wuxian had foolishly made him leave behind, he was still a cultivator. And a capable one at that. He could rely on those skills to protect himself from any wild animal which might try and attack him. It was fine. He was fine.

But it didn't stop his heart from continuously beating hard against his ribs, trying to burst out of his chest. Lan Xichen hurriedly followed the trail which led to a small cave, inside which there was a small-looking person slumped over against the cave wall.

"Jiang Cheng!" he exclaimed, stumbling as he got off of Shuoyue and rushed to the man's side. The Jiang's eyes were small slits, only barely open. He was not only alive but awake as well.

"You're late" he croaked in an annoyed tone before going unconscious, falling forward into the Lan's arms. Yes, he had been late. He should've ignored his uncle and gone with Huaisang yesterday. Should've given in to his desires of seeing Jiang Cheng. Played dumb, pretended he thought Wei Wuxian needed his help. Gone to see him. If he had, Jiang Cheng would have been found sooner, might not even be here in the first place.

He must've been so alone, out in the cold all night. Even in his sleep, the Jiang was shivering. His soaked clothes were clinging close to his body, providing him with little warmth. Luckily, only the hem of his robes were bloody, the injury was likely not as bad as all the trail outside had made it seem. Perhaps the rain had spread the red color further, making it look worse than it actually was.

But Lan Xichen wasn't about to just make a guess. Scooping the Jiang up into his arms he allowed his spiritual energy to pour into the man. The injury was indeed light. Though being cold and wet for hours had taken a great toll on his health.

Lan Xichen stepped back onto Shuoyue and headed towards the cloud recesses as fast as the sword could carry them. Lan Xichen pressed Jiang Cheng as close to his chest as he could, offering him any little warmth his body could provide him. In doing so he could also feel that the Jiang wasn't actually cold, he was hot. Very hot. Being cold and soaked for so long he had contracted a fever.

By the time Xichen remembered the signal flare attached at his hip they were almost halfway back. Taking it out he fired it off, hoping his fellow searchers were able to spot the red light despite him being so far away from the place he was originally assigned to check out.