Challenge Accepted

She threw me one last glance before walking up the stairs, leaving me standing in the middle of the unreasonably huge kitchen, replaying her words in my head. The hallway was pitch black, only the rays of moonlight pierced through the white window, that curtains were slightly covering, it was still pretty dark in the whole house except the kitchen...surprising that Adelaine isn't bothered by it.

Not even the creepy darkness stopped her from rushing to her bedroom as fast as she could, even though she is terrified of the dark, always has been— she brushed her fear of this time, because she couldn't stand being in the same room as me.

That's how I knew that getting her back would be harder than I thought, I don't know what I was expecting, well I do know, I expected her to cuss me out and kick me out of the house without a second thought. She didn't, to my surprise. She's still the same old Adelaine, sympathetic, understanding, and perfect.

Then there's me. An ass. A lying, disappointing, stupid ass. How did I even manage to get that woman?

Her words hurt like hell, I expected them, but expecting them didn't make it hurt any less, I guess I was hoping that she would somehow overlook the fact that I was hiding for eight years–I was doing it for a good reason, it was stupid yeah, now I realize it. But it's not over yet, I'd rather die than let her hate me.

My mind threw me in an overthinking loop, as I layed on her living room couch,  counting all the flowers she pained on the ceiling, and thinking of all the things I could do to gain her trust back in me. Where there's true love, there's trust, or some shit like that.

It was around 6 in the morning when I dozed off with her on my mind, just like I did every single night before this one, or more correctly, this morning. Not much was different besides the dreams I had, they were miserable as shit, usually, I'd have good ones that would motivate the hell out of me but these definitely didn't,if anything, they made me never want to sleep again.

Luckily, they were cut short by a bunch of voices around me, two familiar, little ones and the one I've been craving to wake up to for years, my wife's.

"Who's that, mama?"A high-pitched female voice asks, and I feel my heart drop. She has no idea who I am.

"That's–uhmm, I'll explain in a minute, can you please go upstairs and get your brother? I want you both here."

"Sure!"She chippers in excitement and I hear her run up the stairs.

Adelaine let's out a quiet, shaky sigh while shuffling with something in the background, sounds like she's cleaning the table and putting everything back in it's place.

If I open my eyes the first thing she's going to do is ask me why I'm here, good thing is she can't kick me out now since Princess already saw me so she's forced to tell them that I'm back, knowing her she planned on dragging it for weeks, like she always did before we got married. I loved it, it felt like a challenge.

Princess didn't recognize me even though there's about four pictures of me and Adelaine on our wedding day, just laying around in random places, It looks like they were moved from their original place then later on forgotten.

"Kingston."She calls out, her tone soft but demanding.

"Kingston, I know you're awake, the kids will be here soon and I want you to sit up and help me explain the situation to them...and then I want you to get out".

I keep my eyes closed, not even realizing I've been holding my breath in. She almost got me until she mentioned the getting out part, I'd rather fake sleep for hours then get out of the house and risk never getting back in. Now that I'm back and the truth is slowly coming to the light, that psycho is going after everyone I care about, purely out of anger he has for me. When I disappeared he didn't care about anything else but finding me and exposing me, now that I'm back he'll only focus on the ones I love, in hope to drive me crazy, and it will.