chapter six

Antonia W.

The party was really good so far, everybody was having a good time and I was glad that the team could enjoy it. They worked so hard for the last weeks and the result today was more we ever thought was possible.

I had quickly spoken to Carlos and was now standing next to Thomas again. Honestly I would have loved to talk more to the Spaniard but I had a feeling that we had been spoken too long and this party wasn't only about him and many people wanted to speak to me.

"Did the big boss already said something about this?" one of the strategists asked and I had to grin as my father called as soon as Carlos had reached the finish line.

"Yes, he was very proud and said we did a great job." I said and then made a dramatic pause, "But the goal is the championship so we need to work a bit harder."

We all laughed because this goal was a bit too high for us but I knew my father meant it in a joking way. Although there was a lot of work that needs to be done and as soon as I was on the plane tomorrow it will all start again.

A while later Thomas was telling our small round a funny story about his winter break that I had already heard so I looked a bit around and saw almost only smiling faces. Nearly me look went oven him but I went back as I saw Carlos across the room, starring at me and that not particular happy.

Probably he was tired I thought and turned back to the people in front of me. It was an exhausting day, especially for him and nobody had expected this party. It was actually Rickys idea and he also planned everything for which I was very thankful as I really hadn't any time after the race.

As soon as the race was over my father had called and I tried to made it quick so I could watch the podium with Luca. He had really wanted to see Carlos and of course I also had needed to see how the first trophy was giving to us, well of course to Carlos but yeah.

 After that there was a meeting with all the team principals because there were a few issues with tires over the weekend and it was really important to discuss that before the next race. After that I had needed to go over the data and talk to the engineers.

So the evening was stressful but Luca and I made it and now we could relax a bit. The last time I saw my son he was talking to Sergio, Checo's son and I was glad that he found someone about his age. 

However since I hadn't seen him in a while I wanted to look after his so I excused myself from Thomas and the group. As I reached the end of the crowd, a bit on the side of the big room, I saw the two kids sitting on a table and a man was sitting across of them, facing his back towards me.

Suddenly he stood up and as I saw who it was I froze for a moment. Unfortunately he went in my direction, not seeing me but as soon as he looked up he recognized me and stopped, only a couple of small steps in front of me.

"Antonia."

"Carlos." was everything I could return as I was somehow overwhelmed with the situation.

After our little conversation before I had thought that that was it for tonight as I wanted everything but that everyone thinks I like one driver more than the other. I didn't want to spend too much time talking with one of them as the other might feel disadvantaged.

"Is everything fine or did someone snatched the podium away from us?"

I looked up again and saw a big grin in the face of the Spaniard. His good mood was really impressive and I liked how he always took everything with such a humor.