Chapter Four

Zara had never moved so fast in her life. Not even when Matthew had chased her around the apartment with a beer bottle. Back then she'd been afraid for her life but this time was different, she was afraid for someone else's. The guilt and choking fear made her work double time.

She ran a minute bath and stripped down. She didn't allow herself to look in the bathroom mirror as she scrubbed her body hurriedly before running to her room. All the while, her heart banged painfully against her chest.

"Death!" She hated that her voice shook but her fear was too great to be concealed. "Death are you still there? Please don't go anywhere PLEASE!"

Death answered from the living room, his voice slightly raised. "I am here. Dress very warm."

"Thank you," Zara whispered as she put on another pair of leggings and a red, long-sleeved shirt with the quote "Move or Die" printed on it. She wore her hoodie over it, a different one from before. Black. Her long hair was a mess as usual but she simply stuffed it into a beanie. It didn't matter anyway since it was cold out.

And also since Zion was dead.

Death came in while Zara was doing up her boots. He leaned against the door, watching her with a blank look on his face. Zara felt his presence before she saw him. She looked up fearfully.

"Please don't leave. I'm already done. Pl-"

"Have you brushed your teeth?"

Zara blinked. "Eh?"

Death's face was stoic. "Have you brushed your teeth?"

"Yes. When I woke up this morning."

"Brush it again and fill those pockets with stuff you can eat. Be fast about that."

"Okay. Just don't leave please."

"I will not."

In about fifteen minutes, Zara was ready. Ready in the sense of walking out the door with the ethereal being by her side. Beyond that, she didn't know if she was really ready. She didn't know anything about getting back a soul but she was sure it wouldn't be easy. However, she wasn't scared.

Her last bit of fear had disappeared for the moment after she ran out from the kitchen, pockets bulging with toffees, and saw Death sitting lazily on the couch. His long legs were stretched out and his eyes were closed. Zara had thought he'd been asleep till she'd seen the clench in his jaw and heard the scraping sounds coming from him as he ground his teeth.

Death was extremely angry.

Zara opened her mouth to apologize for wasting time but after a quick rethink, closed it again. Something told her that wasn't the reason.

The occurrence had been a chilling one but it had been good for her because Death had waited for her despite being upset. He really did want to help her. He was going to help her and she was going to be as strong as she needed to be so Zion could come back from the dead. Failure wasn't an option.

Zara walked past her mum and Patrick and out the door with Death. She breathed in deeply the clean, cold air and allowed herself to fully feel hope again.

"I won't fail because I cannot afford to. It's as simple as that."

Death did not comment.

In the dark corners of her mind, the demons were laughing.

The air seemed to seep through her skin and into her bones. Every breath hurt, the icy wind stabbing at her lungs with every puff. Zara had never felt colder in her life, both physically and emotionally.