Chapter Twenty-Four

Hades stared down at Zara, his chin resting on his open palm. A look of intense boredom was all one could note from his face. However, a closer look revealed a curious glint in his eyes.

Cerberus lay at his feet, docile and sleepy with his pitiful stump of a tail vibrating. Almost as if he was wagging it or at least trying to.

The four beings in the room stared at each other. Zara was painfully aware of the absence of Death but she refused to wonder why for even a moment. She wouldn't ponder, she'll ask and get answers.

"Hades..."

Hades narrowed his eyes. "Mortal."

"Where's Death? Where is he please?"

She could feel Lethe right beside her shaking in fear but Zara wasn't shaking. Zara was done shaking. What else could he take from her?

Hades said nothing, eyes blinking lazily though the curious glint was still present. He watched her as though she was the telly, attention rapt and eager to see what she would do next.

Zara felt another surge of intense rage bubbling inside her. She felt like a can of coke, especially as she was frothing at the mouth with anger.

"Give Death back you bastard!"

Lethe gasped but Zara wasn't talking to Hades. She had screamed at Cerberus. Lethe relaxed slightly then gasped again when Zara began running towards the throne. Her entire body went rigid.

Zara only saw red. Tears streaked down her face. She wiped them away angrily, making full tilt for the titan mutt.

"You stupid dog! You ate him, didn't you? You ate Enes!" She looked up to meet Hades' gaze once again. "What sort of a father are you?" She spat in his direction.

The spittle barely traveled two yards but Hades flinched as though struck. He lowered his hand from his chin and said slowly,

"Cerberus, fetch."

Lethe screamed out something which Zara couldn't understand. She couldn't understand anything except for the fact that Cerberus was bounding towards her with almost playful steps, one of his mouths opening and revealing his gigantic, sharp, yellow teeth. The head with the open mouth lowered till it was right above her and she could smell its horrible, rank, doggy breath and feel its dank, disgusting slobber.

The last thing she remembered was Lethe screaming again before everything turned into a blur.

Zara gasped. She was moving so fast she couldn't see anything. Then she felt the cold begin to seep into her, as though she was stark naked in an icy lake. Slowly at first then all at once.

It could only be him.

Death gently placed Zara on the ground right next to Lethe who was on both knees, hands over her mouth. She was crying silently. Death turned to look at her. He raised a hand and Zara thought for one mad moment he was going to strike Lethe but instead, he pulled her up and into a hug.

Zara stared at them both.

"Take it easy Lethe," Death said.

"I'm sorry! It all went wrong so quickly and I couldn't do anything! Just like that time when Rui-"

"Shh it is okay. Everything will be fine."

Lethe's cries soon stopped and Death stepped away, releasing his arm from around her. His only arm. Zara did a double take then raised a trembling hand.

"Y-your arm. It's gone."

Death looked down as if only just noticing his left hand had been chewed off right up to his elbow. Black liquid seeped from the cut.