Chapter Seven

tw : sexual and physical abuse

"Say please."

"Please!"

The slap Zara received turned her head with a sickening crack. Her eyes bulged while her mouth hung open in a silent scream.

"I love it when you beg. Say please again."

Zara was making sounds now, sobs escaping her throat. The horrible stench coming from her father in the tiny bathroom made it hard to breathe. He grinned at her drunkenly before easily lifting her malnourished body to his height and smashing his lips against hers.

Zara squeezed her eyes shut and struggled with all her might to break free.

And of course, failed.

She could taste alcohol and vomit. His bitter essence seemed to ooze into her as he forcefully pried her lips open with his tongue and began sucking on hers. Zara thought of her mother working her night shift at the supermarket and knew even then that'd she'd never be able to tell her.

She would never be able to tell anyone.

Not even herself.

This life just wasn't fair.

Matthew yanked his mouth away and whisper shouted, all the while shaking Zara furiously. "Didn't you say you would kill me before I touched you this way Zara? Did you not? Well I've touched you in such a way and guess what? I am still alive."

Her father thrust her away and she hit the floor hard. She kept her head lowered, biting her lip against the pain.

"You're a slut. Just like your mother. Say please again."

Zara continued to stare blankly down at the floor till she heard the sound of his belt unbuckling.

Zara burst into tears.

"Best you get used to all of this." Her father was drunk in body but never speech. His clear words hit her with sharp precision.

"This is only the beginning Zara. Now say please. Beg."

Zara kept silent till he'd whipped her across the shoulder a second time.

"PLEASE!" She screamed.

She could hear the demon laughing hard.

"My abuse must be real funny to you", Zara mumbled. "I don't mind but please help me. Please."

"And pray tell, how can I do that?" the demon asked.

"My messed up mind gave birth to you did it not? My mentality is your territory is it not? So please make me forget. I beg you. Please."

She could not hear a reply because at that moment, a fiery hot pain coursed through her upper thigh as Matthew's belt gave another hit.

"What are you mumbling about you crazy girl?" Matthew said.

"Please," Zara whispered. A lone tear trickled down her face. "It will hurt too much to remember. Please."

Zara said the word please many times far into the night and when Matthew finally left her lying on the bathroom floor, a bloody heap, she could only whisper.

"Please. Somebody...Please."

Zara woke with a scream. "PLEASE!"

The high-pitched sound startled Death, his hold on her loosening. It didn't help Zara was leaning far back, hands and mouth slack.