12 Sweet Elixir

** play music at the two asterisks **

Leonardo Hereward Point of View

She lays still. I sit beside her in our home, whisking her away from the evil that settled in the depths of Paris. The doctor informed me she'd make a full recovery with the magic balms he's used, however there is only so much magic left and she'll be stuck in a minor coma until she's ready to return, "My king, the dukes are waiting for you in the main hall." Justin, my head butler, interrupts the silence encasing me, "Would you like me to prepare a meal?"

"I do not eat until the queen eats." Justin nods understanding the tradition. It's custom for the dragon males to withhold themselves from the things their mates cannot have out of respect. I watch a trusted guard slip into the room to watch over Azalea and take my leave with Justin. My back goes straight, long strides as I walk. I can't let this make me appear weak or we'd be susceptible to another attack, "Justin, tell no one of the queen."

"As you wish, your majesty." Justin doesn't look back. I avoid clenching my chest, my heart aches to be away from her. Every part of me wants to crawl into the bed and lend my comfort. Walking away now feels as though I'm abandoning her, "My king may I speak freely?"

"Proceed."

"It is rather impressive that the queen was able to kill a wolf and two humans with a necklace."

I smirk, my joy evident, "She's an extraordinary woman, one I do not deserve."

"She is meant to stand beside you. I heard a whisper in the walls that she's been asking about your hobbies and interests. Even went as far to ask Nash about where you sleep." She's probably taking that information to kill me, "And ever since she helped her tutor take care of her child, she's won the hearts of the castle over."

"She did what?" I look to Justin right as we stop outside the main hall. Justin gives me a bazar look seeming more surprised than I for not knowing.

"Yes, a young whelp got bit by a snake. The queen went to the servant's room and assisted in caring for the child while the mother left to get the medication she needed. For three hours she kept the child's fever down. Hard not to be impressed and thankful for such a compassionate queen."

I hadn't known. She always acts so cold towards me that I'd assumed she'd maintain that emotion towards all dragons. My tattoos swirl in greed. I just want to snatch her between my claws and demand she explain to me what's going on in that beautiful head of hers. She'd drunkenly told me she wants me, craves my touch, and the pronounces in her broken state that she kept her promise of not running. How am I to avoid such a temptation that is only becoming more desirable, "Thank you, Justin. You're dismissed."

The three dukes sit at the round table, the marquises taking the left of the king's chair. None of the dukes have found their mates making them close to intolerable regarding emotion control. I approach the head of the table only sparing a glance at the newly placed queen's seat. Each of them stands to bow, then settle themselves while I shuffle through the reports laying in front of me. I take the time to monitor the room.

The dukes sit at their cardinal direction, the marquis joining me at the north. The duke of the south, Roger, smiles eagerly. He's a loyal servant to the crown with his only fault being he's too friendly. However, he's noble in protecting the people charged to him, and won't submit to other that oppose him. I'd once considered him a friend before I had to put the crown first. The crown became a burden that I hadn't wanted to share, and now with Azalea nearby I want nothing more than to hold the burden even closer. However, the more I learn of her, the more I must sit back and envy the natural talent she has for leadership, and the stubbornness required to rule.