Chapter 2

As they set up camp for the night, he wondered about the tiefling, setting up her own space across the fire they lit earlier. "She's so silent." He mumbled to himself, curiosity flooding his mind. He finished his tent, sitting down onto the bedroll he placed close to the fire. Not long after, she sat on her own bed, her face flooded in an orange hue as she watched the flames closely.

"You're very quiet, even your steps seem to fall away." He said, watching for her reaction. She didn't have one. "You don't conversate much either, do you?"

She shook her head, looking up at him for a moment. She wasn't too sure what this man really wanted from her. She could feel her own unease resting in the pit of her stomach, spreading like wildfire into her chest and clenching her throat. She was sure she wouldn't sleep tonight. Not that she wasn't used to the exhaustion. There was hardly a night she could sleep.

"Do you mind if I chat a little then? If we're going to be helping each other, we might as well be comfortable." The pale elf asked her. It seemed as though he was going to talk either way.

She nodded, looking back at the flames. The fire calmed her, dancing around the ashened wood like the rains would never find it. It was alive. She couldn't remember the last time she felt alive. She must've only been a child, before he took her from her home.

"Alright. Well, my name is Astarion." He said, confidently. She didn't say anything for a moment. "May I have your name?" He asked politely.

His name rang loud bells in the back of her skull. She couldn't place why that name seemed so familiar. "Vanora." She stated clearly.

A chill ran down Astarions back when he heard her voice. Her voice demanded his attention, like a moth to flame. "Vanora. What a lovely name you have."

"Thank you, sir." She wasn't sure if she was supposed to answer that, but he seemed very confident in getting a conversation. When he laughed, she tensed so much she was sure he had seen her flinch.

The elf calmed himself. "There's no need for that. Astarion is fine." He told her. She nodded in response, her shoulders ridged. He almost felt guilt as he watched her for a moment. Just as she was getting comfortable. "So, what's your story?" He asked.

She shrugged. "It would bore you."

He became more curious as she said the words. The elf doubted he would be bored. He chuckled lightly. "You'd know more than I would, but I respect your privacy."

She smiled at him, thankful that he didn't pry. She didn't want to tell him much. In that moment, she fought off a yawn, turning her head so it wouldn't show that she had.

Astarion sighed. "We should get some rest, if we want to get back to Baldur's Gate."

She nodded, turning to lay down on her makeshift bed. She relaxed, watching the stars that seemed so calm in the night. She couldn't see the stars like this in Baldur's Gate. The cool breeze flew over her face, a feeling she hadn't known for a long time. The fire glowed lowly, sending warmth into just one side of her. The smell of the burning reminded her of where she used to stay, like the torches littering the walls. They never lasted through the night. It was always cold.

After a while, she sat up. The pale elf seemed to be sound asleep. She stood silently, walking toward him cautiously. As she stood above him, she couldn't help but remember his kindness. He hasn't overstepped, and seemed nice enough to her. She shook her head, walking silently toward the woods. There must be something out there.