Chapter 15

Vanora found herself in a void, black nothingness as she walked forward. She couldn't tell if she was up or down. Everything was cold around her.

Suddenly, she saw a view of someone. They looked like an ancient hero. "Hello Vanora. Looks like I've made it just in time."

"Where am I? Who are you?" She asked, looking at the woman intensely.

"I'm here to protect you."

"Protect me?"

"Yes. I had come trying to help with the mind flayer tadpole, only to find that you've already found a way to destroy it. Now, it just looks like you'll die."

"What?" Vanora took a step back. "I can't die."

"Dear," She chuckled. "You drank vampire blood. You're dying. Siren blood doesn't mix with vampires."

"He was a vampire spawn. That counts?"

The woman chuckled. "It counts." She walked around Vanora, looking at her. "You have a choice dear. I can help you survive, but I cannot free you. I cannot give your soul back. Your bond with Cazador will remain when you wake up."

"Or?" Vanora asked, drawing out the word in curiosity.

"Or, I'll leave well enough alone. You die."

Vanora thought for a moment. "I can just... die. I'll go, and I'll never have to see Cazador again?"

"No, you won't ever see him again. However, I believe someone will be quite upset." She motioned her hand over, a light in the void glowing lowly beside her.

She walked to the vision, watching as Astarion tried his best to wash the blood out of her hair in a bowl as she laid motionless. "Astarion..." she whispered, placing a hand on the border between him and herself. She didn't like people touching her, not in the slightest. But she wished she could feel how gentle he was trying to be, how general he was. His hand ran through the soaked locks, catching a tangle sometimes. When he did, he used his other hand to separate the strands as carefully as he could. She usually just pulled through them.

"He'll blame himself. You know that, right?"

Vanora sighed softly, a pained smile written on her face. "I know..." she said. She also knew Cazador would find her, whether she's saved or not. She took a deep breath, turning to face the guardian again. "I've made a decision."

The guardian smiled sadly. The void became too bright to see. Vanora had to put a hand above her eyes. In only a moment, she was sucked backward toward where he had been walking.