12 Naive Doormat - Sophia's POV

''...She's playing dumb, and she's taking it to a whole new level! You gotta understand that! I can't be the only one who sees through her!''

I toss Michael the TV remote so he can blatantly turn up the TV volume as Debbie sounds off about Bella.

''Bella has shown problematic behaviour since early summer,'' Sebastian confirms, scrolling on his school laptop on the sofa. ''And I'm working on it with her parents–''

''It's clearly not working!''

''It's not a simple case,'' Sebastian says.

''Yeah,'' I grunt as I try to cocoon myself in a blanket on the swing. ''She's special.''

''A lot less than you think. She's playing!'' Debbie asserts. ''If she really was as simple-minded and childlike as she plays, she shouldn't be out on her own or drive a car.''

''Yelling and accusing her of playing stupid or even giving her a fine hiding like you suggested won't solve it,'' Sebastian reasons.

''No, because she ran away from me–'' Debbie's temper exacerbates with our laughs.

''What did you think would happen when you tried to swing at another person?'' Michael chuckles.

''When I was little, I was taught to run if someone tried to attack or hit me,'' Sebastian says in an arch tone.

''Dastardly Debs never learned not to hit others,'' I tease.

''Exactly, so be careful around me,'' Debbie clambers onto the swing, giving me the impression of being a predator, seeing me as prey, and I taut the blanket around me, just in case. ''Do you know what you are? A naive doormat.''

''Such a lovely thing to say to your stepdaughter,'' I roll my eyes.

''Someone has to say it,'' she scoffs. ''Bella is downright persuading and dominating you.''

''She doesn't have a speck of dominance in her and probably believes the fibs she tells herself,'' I argue. ''You are so cynical. She's the sweetest person I know–"

''It's a part of her persuasive personality!''

''She's like a tricksy and excited child who wants to have fun. She means nothing bad,'' I claim.

''She doesn't behave like that when she takes care of the animals and farm chores or when she babysits her brothers! She behaves like a fairly normal and responsible person then."

''Sometimes you want to have fun, too.'' I shrug, but it's barely perceptible as my shoulders are stuck in place under my tightly wrapped blanket. ''Michael said she's like a skittish child who's away with the fairies.''

''Yeah, you can't be too harsh on her. You must be a bit stupid to want to make a fool out of yourself like she does when she behaves that way,'' Michael reasons.

''All of you are the stupid ones!'' Debbie exclaims.

''No, I agree with you. Her behaviour is bad, and she's definitely playing with us. I just think you are a bit too harsh in your approach," Sebastian speaks up.

''You haven't seen me being harsh,'' Debbie snarls.

I burst into laughter, catching Sebastian's facial expression shift from Holling grading dull essays to Holling finding a reason to cane Oliver among the pile of papers. ''Don't excite him this late,'' I pipe up. ''If you're not willing to deal with it.''

''I'd like to see you go harsh on Soph,'' Sebastian says with a wicked little smirk.

''Me too, but her father is a doormat just like her,'' Debbie side-eyes her husband.

''Doormat, aka mentally sane and friendly,'' I riposte.

''Ask your boyfriends about what they think of Bella lying to you tomorrow, and condemn them when they say the exact same as me.''

I sigh. ''They think she's a scatty little lass, too, but we respect her and play with her even though she doesn't play with a full deck."

''She's playing with your gullibility,'' she articulates slowly, and I shake my head.

I refuse to believe that. Sure, she's a cheeky fucker and has become more mischievous lately, but I can't imagine her being as calculated as Debbie swears on.