Chapter 1: My Fifth Birthday

My fifth birthday was a fun one, but it was one where things changed. My mom seemed to be much more irate, ready to explode like an active volcano. At first, because I was just five, I didn't realize my mom was changing for the worse. All my siblings knew all too well what this meant. Mom was about to go on a rampage on anyone she saw, even her kids.

One summer morning, my sister Cassandra snuck out and faced my mother's anger alone, as I couldn't stop it. I still feel shame and guilt to this day, watching my sister getting beat in front of my very eyes.

As my mom was standing there with a metal hanger in her hand hitting my sister with it over and over and over, screams and cries rang from both my sister and myself begging her to stop. Eventually, Mom stops and she leaves my sister there crying on the floor. I stood frozen in fear, my clothes soaked in urine with a puddle beneath me. My mom, who I could only describe as a monster looked at me with disgust and says, "Clean this shit up now unless you want to get beat too!". Panic and fear consume me as I scramble to grab a towel to clean up the mess I made.

After I got out of the bath, I heard the doorbell ring as Mom went to answer it. My mom said, "Oh hello officers, what brings you here" acting like nothing was wrong. One officer then said, "Good day ma'am I'm here because some of your neighbors were complaining about the noise. May I speak to you in private while my partner speaks to your children". My mother, seeming a bit confused, agreed to talk to them. Another officer, who I assumed was his partner, came in the house and said, "Hello little guy has anything out of the ordinary happened today" I just shook my head out of fear for what my mom would do if I told anyone seeing as mom seemed to be changing right before me and I didn't want to make her mad. The officer then tips his hat to me as he says, "OK then, where are your siblings". I then pointed the officer in the direction of where my brother and sister were. After about 20 minutes, he came out of there and headed outside to where the other officer was. After the officers left, my mom switched from what I call now the "Rainbow" front to the wicked.

She yells at us, saying, "Kids, get your asses over here now!" As I began to walk over, all I could think was: Did I do something wrong? Did someone else do something wrong? What Is going on? Why is mom like this? All these questions rang through my head. When my sister came out, she didn't look very well. She was teetering side to side and fell unconscious, vomiting all over the grass outside. Her ears were bleeding and my brother yelled, "Someone, call an ambulance". The next thing I knew, there were loud sirens in the distance and the noise was just too much. I couldn't take it so I ran until I couldn't no more. Eventually, I ended up at a park that was nearby. I sat down under the jungle gym and cried until eventually I got up and went back. When I got back, my grandma was there to take us to her house while my sister was in the hospital for a very bad ear infection.

Eventually, CPS came to our house to take us away. I didn't know why, but now I know that it was because some nurses at the hospital saw the bruises and called CPS, which eventually led to us being taken and put into Foster care in June 2011 just one month after my birthday.