Chapter 3: Kindergarten and Friends

I remember feeling like fireworks were exploding in my chest on my first day of kindergarten. Soon, that feeling would be replaced with one of a deflated tire. No one wanted to play with me; I had no friends, no one to talk to during recess, nothing. All my friends were back at Everett Elementary.

As the days went on, I guess Karen began to notice that I wasn't my usual self. She came into my room and sat down on my bed and said, "Come and sit so we can talk". I thought, Oh no, am I in trouble? I guess she sensed my nervousness because she said, "Don't worry, you're not in trouble" I sat on the bed hesitantly. What she did next completely shocked me, she hugged me and said, "You're so lonely aren't you". I just sat there and cried my little heart out while she whispered sweet nothings into my ears. Then, while sniffling, I said, "Why does no one want to be my friend at school?" I don't remember what she said, but I remember feeling like I could make friends again.

The next day at school, a new kid named Ali came to the school and I remember the moment I laid eyes on him, I felt like he would be a good friend. So, during recess, I saw him all alone like I am and I mustered up the courage to ask him to be my friend and he gladly accepted. This made me so happy that I was grinning from ear to ear. We spent that recess playing pretend. Seeing as we both liked Pokemon, we spent that year happily acting like we were Pokemon trainers. Every day, I remember Karen lifting her sunglasses to wink at me, so I knew it was her when she came to pick me up. I don't remember why that was, but I do know I loved it and it never failed to make me smile. Sadly, like always, those happy days couldn't last.

I don't remember why I got this way, but a year or two later I remember getting mad and stomping on Karen's foot. I instantly regretted what I did and tried to apologize, but the damage was already done. Over the next few days, I remember feeling like she was staring at me like I was some kind of monster, and I know I completely deserved that.