Chapter 17

Blossom's Point of View

"Yeah...she passed away before Mia could meet her. I decided to keep some pictures of her, so Mia can remember her," he stated as looked down and fiddled with his thumbs,
"I often tell her stories about her mom; she's so curious about what she was like."

"I think it's very nice that you do that,' I nodded then, "If you don't mind me asking, how did she pass away?"

"Car accident," he answered, sharply, "She was leaving from my apartment after a heated argument late one night. The driver of a truck did not see her reversing out of the driveway so, he didn't slow down in time and ended up running into her. She was 8 months pregnant at the time."

I walked over to him and placed my hand on his shoulder in attempt to comfort him. Elijah wasn't crying, however I could see it was something that still pained him. Of course, it would. She was his lover and the mother of his unborn child; anyone in his position would be distraught.

He paused, then continued, "I heard the noise and ran outside to see what was going on. The crash alerted most of the people in the complex as well. It didn't take me long to realize it was Tamia's car that was involved in the accident. I later found out that the truck driver already called the police immediately after the collision.  My body ran cold as I tried to wrap my mind around the series of events that just took place. I ran towards the scene panicking."

I sat there listening to his recollection of events and I really feel for him, you know?

"Anxiety consumed me and my hope of her being alive dwindled as I grew nearer to the accident and saw the severity of it all. It's a haunting feeling to see someone you love covered in bruises and inanimate. She was barely breathing and that sight made my heart stop for a few seconds. I let out an emotional screech of her name as I gripped on to the completely shattered window. Neighbors tried to calm me down and moved me away from the scene until the ambulance arrived. I watched on as they removed her body from the vehicle and placed her on the stretcher."

Elijah's POV

"She didn't make it, Blossom. I still am plagued with guilt. If only I had just given up my pride...the desire to be right," I sighed deeply before continuing, " Then, maybe my daughter would have her mother and she would know the other half of her identity.

I planted my face into the palms of my hands with my elbows rooted right above my knees. My back was hunched over as I shed a few tears. It'd be typical for me to pretend like I do not cry because I am a man. However, I am a human first and a man second; I have feelings too. Honestly, I did not want to...especially in front of Blossom, but I could not stop myself from crying because I have been carrying this burden silently for a while now.

I felt Blossom's hand gently squeeze my left shoulder. 

"Hey," she said as she leaned in a little closer, "I think you're a great father...more that what you give yourself credit for."

"Thanks," I looked up at her teary eyed, " I try to be , but it's very difficult. There are some things that I feel like a failure doing."

"Well, like what?" She asked.

I wiped my faced and replied in a shaking voice, " Like doing her hair, understanding her girl logic sometimes or even just simply catering to her needs as the young lady she is."