Chapter 5 - Love?

E shook as each new cough wracked his body. Petals spewed out of his mouth, creating a cascade of red. The rose petals floated gently to the floor. For a flower that was supposed to represent love, E sure felt hated by the roses. He winced as the last petal landed in his palm. 

He was lucky. E had seen hanahaki at its worst: blood, thorns, vines, and full flowers mixed in an array of pain. He knew that eventually, he'd be coughing up that concoction. His cough now was nothing compared to that.

E was late. Hacking up petals had set him back about 15 minutes. He didn't have the time to make up a lie to tell his past self about why he was late, he'd just have to tank the lecture that was sure to come.

He grabbed his coat and ran out the door, dropping the petals in the dumpster outside of Doc's lab. He needed to hurry. E pushed the tight feeling in his chest out of his mind. He only had 11 more days left in the past. 11 days to save his friend's life. 11 days to save his own life. He didn't have time to acknowledge the pain.

He reached the apartment 30 minutes late. E didn't bother knocking, he let himself in. Etho was waiting, sitting patiently on the couch, an annoyed look plastered on his face.

"You're late."

"Yeah. What's it to ya?"

"Dude. You're literally me from the future. It's kinda a big deal that you're here!" E rolled his eyes.

"Did ya do what I told you to?" Etho seemed to lose the annoyance instantly at the mention of the task.

"His name is Bdubs. Right?" E smiled and joined Etho on the couch. Etho had met Bdubs. Bdubs was alive. Everything was going according to plan.

"Yeah, Bdubs. You should get his phone number."

"Already got that! He came to lunch with me and Doc the other day." E nodded. This was great! Now, he just needed to trick his past self into asking Bdubs on a date.

"You trust me right?" Etho shrugged.

"I mean you're literally me so."

"Alright. I want you to describe Bdubs to me."

"What? I thought you already knew him?"

"Oh I do. Just trust me on this." Etho stared at E questioningly. He thought for a moment before he started speaking again.

"Well... Bdubs.... He's short. Dark hair. He talks a LOT. Like a lot a lot. He's very passionate about architecture and interior design. He also likes comfort food. Oh and he's got a nice smile. And his eyes are chocolate brown. Gosh those eyes...."

"THERE!" Etho jumped as E interrupted him. He blushed, realizing what he had said.

"I didn't mea-"

"But you did. You did mean it. He has gorgeous eyes. And he's very sweet and he's perfect." Now E was blushing. Etho picked up on it, realizing what E meant. Silence fell over the two. 

"Oh. We... we love him, don't we?" E nodded quietly. Etho just sunk into the couch, shocked. The realization hit him like a ton of bricks.

"E... what does loving Bdubs have to do with the future?" E shivered, remembering the gravestone that sat in the cemetery. Remembering the light disappearing from Bdubs's eyes as he refused to admit his love. E took a deep breath, hiding the tears that threatened to escape his eyes.

"In the future, we love him. And he needs to know that. He needs to know you love him."

"I only just met him E... I don't even know how to love Bdubs."