chapter 4: all of this silence and patience

chapter photo creds: @sinisterjelly on tumblr
title from taylor swift's "dress"

______________

October 2023

Once Applejack was convinced that Rarity could stand on her own, the Hunters led them to a private meeting room. The Order's innermost circle, Sunset and Rainbow, joined Cadence at one end of the large table while Applejack and Rarity stood at the other end.

"You two better start talking now," Cadence says, her eyes flitting between Rarity and Applejack before settling on Rarity. "You're lucky we're even letting her stay here. You do know most of these hunters have personal vendettas against vampires right?"

Applejack chose to ignore the last comment. "Fine. Where do you want me to start?"

"From what I know, soul bonds were used by vampires before the hunters came about," Cadence says. "They'd use the bond to make people their human blood bags."

"That's right," Applejack nods. "Because the bonded human can't die until the vampire does. Unless I was beheaded or somethin'."

She catches Rarity rolling her eyes.

"So vamps back then could feed on their human for as long as they wanted to," Applejack continues. "No need to hunt or worry about the human dying on 'em."

"In turn, the vampire can go without feeding for much longer," Rarity adds. "Normal vampires need to feed every week or so, maybe even more. Bonded vampires can go up to a month."

"If they feed from the human they're bonded to," Applejack says.

"And now you're trying to break the bond," Sunset scratches the back of her neck. "But what I can't wrap my head around is why you agreed to be bonded in the first place, Applejack? Why would you willingly tie your soul to some vampire?"

Applejack nearly lets the truth slip before Rarity interrupts her.

"Because Applejack gained something too. She was able to use her prolonged life and health to her advantage."

It wasn't exactly a lie, and even though it saved them from explaining themselves further, it makes Applejack's chest ache a little. Still, she forces herself to back Rarity's claim.

"Easier to fight vamps when you can't die," Applejack shrugs.

"But you," Rainbow Dash stares right at Rarity. "Why would you help a hunter?"

Rarity is unflinching, and Applejack cannot read her. "I know it's hard for you to believe but– not all vampires are out to kill. Some of us are only trying to survive. Of course I took whatever opportunity I could to have to feed less often."

"I'm tired of fighting," Applejack finally says. "I don't care about gettin' to heal faster or living forever. That's why we're trying to break the bond. We just need those files."

Decades of moving cities, abandoning friends, watching the people she loves pass away, she's tired of it all. It's not sustainable anymore, because all she feels is empty.

After a moment, Cadence sighs. "Look. If I could help you I would. But we gave those files to a sister location months ago."

Rainbow and Sunset look surprised at that. "Is that what those men from Atlanta's sect were doing here?" Sunset asks. "Why would they need ancient files like those?"

"They told me it was confidential," Cadence says. "And I had no use for the files, but I trusted our Sister organization."

"Can't we just call them or something?" Rainbow asks. "There's no way they won't let us borrow the files for a while, right?"