chapter 10: offer me my deathless death

chapter photo creds: @pyatka-the-best on tumblr

title from take me to church by hozier

a/n: yall im gonna be honest. it does not slow down after this like we do not stop 🫶🏼 i apologize in advance

                   __________________

November 1918

It took Rarity a week since her husband's return to find a time to slip away and meet Applejack. She shows up at the farm early in the morning, having told Sebastain she was going out to buy vegetables for dinner that night.

She finds Applejack near the pig pens and when the blonde spots her, she drops everything in her hands to run over and pull Rarity into a tight embrace, and it makes everything– the week long torment, all worth it.

"Oh, Applejack," Rarity mutters, "this week has been awful without you."

Applejack withdraws from her with tear filled eyes. "Same here, Sugarcube."

"I have a plan," Rarity says, hands reaching up to frame Applejack's face. "Sebastain, he's been– drinking as of late. He's always out like a light after a few hours and he doesn't rouse until morning. We could do it, Darling. We could run away."

"Big Mac and Applebloom are relocatin' in a couple weeks. I could always go ahead of 'em, prepare a place for when they arrive,'' Applejack tells her. "Do you really think we can do this?"

"I know we can. We have to."

Rarity couldn't see any other option. The idea of spending the rest of her life in this town with a man she hardly cared for was not a life at all. A life without Applejack wasn't worth it.

Applejack nods. "Okay. Tell me what you're thinkin'."

"Two nights from now," Rarity says. "I'll offer Sebastain a drink after dinner, and maybe I'll slip something inside. Something that'll make sure he stays asleep for a while. Will you meet me outside the house that night?"

"I will. Bags packed and everythin'."

"Alright." Rarity offers her a small smile. "We can do this."

Applejack draws her in for a kiss. "Two nights. Then we can be together."

Together, Rarity thinks fondly. Together and happy.

                 __________________

October 2023

On the fourth night of laying low at the farmhouse, there was a knock at the front door. Everyone became on alert, checking the windows to see who it was. Applejack was crossing her fingers the hunters hadn't found them.

"Some girl," Rainbow says, squinting as she peeked out a window. "Don't recognize her. Doesn't look like a hunter though."

Rarity takes a peek and immediately her face brightens. Applejack doesn't have the time to question it because Rarity has already opened the front door and thrown her arms around the stranger.

"Uh, what's going on here?" Sunset furrows her brows.

Rarity smiles at all of them who had crowded around the doorway. "Everyone, this is my good friend Twilight Sparkle. Twilight, these are the people helping me out."

"Nice to meet all of you," Twilight nods, pushing her glasses up. "I'm assuming you were able to get a hold of the files."

"Wait– you're the one who knows how to break the bond?" Applejack asks.