Chapter 4

Lapis -x

What wakes me from my pleasant slumber, being embraced by Vergil's strong arms, is the loud sound of my phone ringing. My eyes snap open and I lean to grab my phone off the nightstand, glancing at the time and name of the caller. 01:13 in the morning and Kyrie's name is lighting up the screen. I feel a pit in my stomach as there could only be one reason for a late night call.

"Kyrie, are you okay?"

"L-Lapis, can you please hurry to the orphanage?"

I hear her shuffling and it sounds like she is very frightened. That causes me to sit up straight away, the curtain of my hair cascading down my back. I hear a light groan from Vergil in irritation, but likely due to our cuddling being broken. I quickly move to stand, hurrying to my closet to grab an appropriate outfit for what I fear is a battle.

"Kyrie, do your best to explain to me what's going on. I am going to be there as quickly as I can."

I click the phone onto loudspeaker as I slip on a sleek, flowy turquoise dress that has been infused with protective fibers that Nico kindly made for me after working on Syrus' weaponry a few weeks back. I slip on a pair of ankle sneakers as I listen to her speak. I don't even realize Vergil has gotten up and is quickly dressing on the other side of the bedroom, being ever silent as he is.

"There are these demons crowding outside of the orphanage, just watching. They're holding massive blades, like wraiths or something. One of the children noticed them going to the bathroom and woke me to alert me. Lapis, I've never seen them do this weird behavior before."

"Kyrie. Make sure you all stay together and don't let anyone leave." I tie my hair into a low side braid, wondering if this is a trap of some kind. But, there is no way I can leave precious children and innocent people to be hurt.

I hear Vergil next to me put on his battle coat, running a now gloved hand through his hair. He taps the Yamato at his hip and gestures to hurry up.

"We will be there soon."

He scoops me up into his arms in a bridal carry and I see and feel the energy building around him as he taps into his devil trigger ability to boost his speed. We are quickly outside and in the night, rushing through the forest, the only source of illumination being the moon resting high in the sky. I hold onto his neck, quickly informing of what was spoken to me, though he likely heard all of it. He doesn't say much but a small 'mhmm,' or 'hmm,' but I can see he's very focused and slightly irked.

"Vergil?"

"Mm, something does not sit right with me. It has not, since Dante mentioned the surge of demons on the other side of the island. And now they are here too? It seems like it has been coordinated by a demon or being seeking to split us. Also, the fact they are simply waiting tells me that they are holding onto orders. I need you to do something for me, Lapis."

I nod, knowing that this is not just our lives to be pensive about. It's our other family members and colleagues on the other side that likely have met a resistance or they would have been back by now. My heart sinks and I pray my beloved Syrus is okay. I kick myself for not going with him, yet, then I would not have been here for protection of these more vulnerable individuals.

Vergil speaks quickly and I can see the orphanage just through the break in the trees, and around the outer perimeter the ghastly demon with their large weaponry glowing in the moonlight.

"I will handle these demons and create a diversion to myself. You must focus on protecting the vulnerable and work to evacuating from the area. Do not worry about me, I will be fine."

He must have read my furrowed expression and I lift my hand to his cheek, caressing lovingly before I speak in a hushed whisper, knowing in just a moment, we need to part.