My Angel: Chapter 12

What if she wants to see him?"

"I don't know brother," Marcus sighed. "In a way I think it would do her good to see him, for the purpose of closure, now that you two have solidly bonded. Your ties to one another are solid. The likelihood of her having anything more than general concern for his welfare is minuscule."

"That's certainly good to hear."

"Indeed. Her many newly forged bonds are everyday overshadowing the damage done by the Cullens. But back to your question, though seeing the Cullen boy may give her mind some closure, I still can't help but feel it would be foolish to expose her to him - given his current break from reality."

Caius nodded his agreement and let his eyes roam once more over his lovely angel. She was sleeping soundly tonight, a small smile occasionally playing across her face. "Aro will want to try and 'cure' Edward," he said, sneering the name, "and I will be ready and more than willing to take Cullen apart once Aro has admitted his failure to rehabilitate the boy."

"Has any more information been reported on Peter?" Marcus asked after a lengthy pause, distracting Caius from his fantasies dismemberment.

"No, but he's hiding something from us. He accepted Aro's hand without hesitation when asked, and his memories confirmed that someone outside of the Volturi had divulged to him the news of Isabella coming to the castle. That information was then relayed from Peter to Jasper during Jasper's trip to Spain. The part that bothers me is that Peter has conveniently never looked his source in the face and therefore cannot unwittingly divulge his identity. I find this highly suspicious. Aro was also able to see many traumas and losses in Peter's life, as well as a passionate need for vengeance, but has been unable to put all the puzzle pieces together to discover the driving force behind this desire. Peter has lived a seemingly random existence for almost a century, though it all seems to be pressing toward one currently undefinable direction." Caius ran an agitated hand through his hair. "I would like to believe Jasper when he says that Peter means no harm to Isabella or to the Volturi in general, but the fact that Aro himself cannot make heads or tails of him keeps me from it. Now Aro has, in his 'great' wisdom, allowed him access to the castle due to nothing more than his longstanding friendship with Jasper in the hope of gaining more intelligence. The guard have consequently been instructed to keep close tabs on him."

Marcus nodded. "And how fares Isabella? I believe her leg has not been too much of a hinderance?"

"Not too much. I've had to keep her ah, occupied frequently so that she doesn't dwell on her current physical limitations."

"Has that been your motive?" Marcus wryly intoned. "I must ask, though you may feel I overstep my bounds, why not change her and spare her the aggravation, not to mention the bonus of restoring her voice?"

Caius stood and walked over to Isabella's bedside. He reached out and traced a finger over her forehead, down across her temple and snagged a lock of hair which he rubbed gently between his fingers. "Because I'm afraid." He finally admitted, his confession no more than a breath in the air.

"I've seen so many transformations go wrong, so many killed by accident or by succumbing to the physical strain involved in the transformation. I cannot imagine not having her always Marcus. What if I lose her?"

Marcus drew a long tired breath into his long-dead lungs. He knew all too well the fear of facing forever without the one who completes you. For him it is not merely a fear, but a reality he must face every day. "You must master these destructive emotions brother." He urged solemnly. "For you will lose her by some other method if you do not. It is true that she will face risks during the transformation, and after. It is also true that our eternity does not always equal forever. Strife and wars within our world claim many. You should not however, delay your happiness too long brother, for you know not how long it will be available to you."