1

There's a loud knocking on the door that startles you while getting ready. You're just finishing the last touches of your make-up and the sudden noise almost makes you lose concentration. When neither you nor your roommate answer, the knocking persists.

April looks up from her cell phone with a scowl. "Aren't you gonna get that?" The tone is slightly hostile, and you just wonder why the administration paired you. Just your luck.

"Maybe is for you." you met April yesterday, and yet you've started on the wrong foot.

"No, I'm pretty sure it's not for me." The tone in her voice is final.

"How do you..." You're about to protest when the person behind the door calls your name. Well, your roommate was right after all. You put the make-up down on the vanity table and approach the door. On the other side, your best friend awaits.

"What happened?" Sam asks immediately, "did you go to bed late reading or something?" His frantic demeanor surprises you, considering he's always collected.

"What?" You ask, "what are you talking about?"

Sam says your name softly, "we're going to be late for English Literature."

"What? No, we're not, the class starts at 9:00, and it's..." You look at my phone, "crap! 8:50!"

"Exactly, it's on the other side of the campus, now hurry up!"

Sam could probably do something like leave you here and run by himself, but because he's such a good friend, he stays put as he waits for you to finish. In his waiting, his eyes drift away to the other female in the room. April is already watching him, the way her gaze lingers on his arms and chest has him almost recoiling. Sam's always been kind of shy, and the fact that his body has matured has considerably given him more female attention than before.

"I didn't know you had such a sweet looking boyfriend," the comment is directed to you as you finish getting ready.

"What?" You glance back at Sam. "Sam's not my boyfriend, he's just my best friend." The response is instantaneous and, just like every time you say it, Sam tries to control his reaction to the hurtful truth.

April licks her lips, "so he's up for grabs?"

You scowl, the last thing you want is your obnoxious roommate dating your best friend. Before you can answer, however, Sam urges you to hurry. "C'mon, I really don't want to be late for the first class."

April makes a gagging noise, "ugh, freshmen, always so eager to learn." None of you pay attention to her, instead, you hurry out of the room and onto the campus grounds.

The trip to English Literature takes you more than you would like, and by the time you reach the classroom, it's already 9:10 and the class has begun. Sneaking in proves to be difficult, as some students and even the teacher, Mr. Robinson, glance your way when you enter. Thankfully, no one comments on it.

"... so I expect you to treat this class as important, even if you're not an English major." Then, the professor makes special emphasis on his next words, "that means arriving on time for class." Apparently, you spoke too soon; your delay got noticed. Sam and you shrink into your seats, embarrassed.

Luckily for you, the class goes by without any other problems, and you actually manage to enjoy it. Maybe it's the excitement of the first class ever, or maybe it's because you're with Sam, but you barely notice as time goes by, and it's already the end of the lecture. When Mr. Robinson dismisses the class, you gather your things into your backpack to be ready for your next class. Most of your schedule is different from Sam's, but you managed to get some classes, like this one, in common. If you're being honest with yourself, it's going to be hard to be without him. For as long as you can remember, you've always been practically attached to the hip. Now things are potentially about to change. Both of you are doing your best for it not to happen, considering that you applied to live in the same hall. Truly, you can't live without Sam, and the feeling is mutual, but of course, not without the same considerations.

"Miss..." the teacher calls out your name when you're almost outside the room. The few students that remain brush past you on the way to the door when you stop to look back at your professor. "I would like to have a word with you." On your side, Sam also waits for the teacher to continue. Mr. Robinson looks at Sam, as if waiting for him to leave.

You glance back at your friend. "Go, we don't even have the next class together." Sam clearly doesn't want to leave you alone with him, there's something out about the way he behaves and looks at you that has Sammy feeling wary. "It's ok Sam, I'll find you later, yeah?" He nods reluctantly and goes out the door. When he leaves, Mr. Robinson's eyes return to you.

"I really appreciate you staying, there's something brief I wanted to mention." He has a charm in his demeanor that unconsciously makes you shift closer. Is this about arriving late to class? Because you doubt it, otherwise, Sam would be here too. His next words clearly surprise you. "I knew your father from our college time. Did he tell you that he came to this same university?"

You replied instantly, "I'm aware my father studied here, but he never mentioned you."

He hums, he's standing near his desk, and you're a few paces in front of him. "Yeah, I guessed as much, we didn't part on the best terms." He says it with a light tone, but you can guess there's a story behind the comment.

You cannot help but ask curiously, "what happened?"

Mr. Robinson makes a dismissive hand gesture, "old, stupid rivalries between fraternities." He leans in as if he's about to tell you a secret, "take my word of advice, don't join a sorority, it's just a waste of time."

Is he really not going to tell you? You decide not to push him for it. "I wasn't planning on it joining one..." His smile marks a cute little dimple on his left cheek, you've always liked dimples.

"That's better, good girls only come to college to study." He doesn't mean it, you can see it in the mischief of his eyes. You're not sure what else to say, and he seems to notice because he adds, "it's ok." He takes one step closer to you. "I just wanted to let you know about it and welcome you on what must be clearly your first day."

You say, "is it that obvious?" He smirks charmingly at you.

"Just a little, you look nervous, but don't worry." He winks, "I think it's cute."

The way he speaks, the way he looks at you. You're aware this isn't how a teacher should behave, and yet there's a part of you that doesn't care. Professor Robinson is charming, and despite him clearly being your father's age, he's incredibly good-looking. He has one of those faces that years only add to their appeal. On top of that, he's intelligent, so why wouldn't you allow yourself the satisfaction of looking at his well-kept body and handsome smile? He clearly wants you to, if the evidence of his smirk is any suggestion. Still, looking is the only thing you allow yourself to do, you really should get going to your next class.

"Thank you for the advice and everything, professor Robinson, I should really get going." You check your watch, "I have another class in 15 minutes."

Mr. Robinson gives you a subtle once over, then turns around and starts packing his books, "I understand, I'm needed elsewhere too." He looks over his shoulder at you, "see you next class, Miss." You nod, and with one more longing glance at him, you step out the door.