EIGHT

* Dani's POV *

She had been in the shower for forty five minutes when I knocked the second time. I almost don't want to think about what could have happened to her. Who and what is she hiding from? What could be so bad?

The pop of the toast breaks my thoughts. I had decided do make breakfast items since we had just woken up and it is not quite lunch time yet. I toss the pieces a couple of times as they burn my fingertips, shouting "hot!" repeatedly. I drop them onto their plates and slice them diagonally. My attention is brought to the hall when I hear a sound.

A couple of seconds pass before I see Abby coming into my view.

"Hey!" I say making her jump a little.

"Hey," she responds flatly avoiding my eyes. She perches herself onto one of the stools and I set a plate of bacon and toast in front of her.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on now?" I attempt to say sternly but as I look at her, my voice comes out wavered. i clear my throat and repeat myself stronger. "Tell me what is going on," I say authoritatively.

Abby doesn't say anything. She picks up a toast triangle and takes a small bite.

Keeping up my stern tone I ask one more time. "Abby, you will tell me-"

She cuts me off, snapping her gaze onto me. "I was being raped!" she screams, dropping the bread.

I take a cautious step back in silence. She was what? I ask myself not believing what I heard. Why? Who? The questions repeat themselves in my head and block out every other noise in the room.

"Are you happy now?" she yells.

Her eyes are locked on mine. They burn into me me so fierce and hot that I have to look away.

What have I done?

* Abby's POV *

As soon as the words escape my mouth, my disposition flips. SOmething inside of me just snaps.

Why couldn't she just be like everyone else and leave me alone?

She still hasn't answered me.

"Huh?" I yell again. "Are you happy now?"

Nothing.

"Look at me damn you!" I demand.

Her body stands rigidly in front of me. I take the sight of her in and my demeanor softens.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled like that."

She stays still.

"Dani," I beg. "Please look at me."

She doesn't.

I walk around the counter to stand in front of her. Her shoulders are slumped and her head hangs lifelessly towards the floor. I take her chin in between my fingers; her silent tears drip over my skin. I run my hand up her face to tuck hair behind her ear. Even though her eyes are closed, tears still steam through.

"Please don't be mad at me," I beg.

"Mad at you?" she says after a few seconds. "How could I be mad at you?"

Due to her cries I cannot tell if she is being sarcastic or not.

"For god's sake you just told me that someone has been trying to rape you!" her voice raises but not in anger towards me.

This time I am certain she is not being sarcastic. Her eyes raise to meet mine; they are red as she tries to hold back any remaining tears she has.

"Who?" she whispers in a demanding tone.